Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Diorama

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
CloudedTech polycounter lvl 2
Hi there! I'm working on a project for class. I'm taking the concept art below and making it into game-ready assets. The final will be in Unreal!

This is the concept art: Link:https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NbggN

Replies

• CloudedTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This is my marked up reference picture, I'm hoping to alter the atmosphere from an apprentice wizard to an inventor (I want it to be based on the Icarus story).
  • CloudedTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on My infrastructure first, here's a quick pic of what I have so far. I've been super sick so it's been hard to do a lot.
  • CloudedTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

heres one of my assets! I should have a rough blockout up soon!
  • CloudedTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blockout:
    Blockout sketchfab: https://skfb.ly/6yyGo

I've started turbosmoothing too:

Turbosmooth Sketchfab: https://skfb.ly/6yyGx

Just keeping the models separate for now, I'll have a better sketchfab later.
  • CloudedTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey Guys! Here are some screenshots from my final diorama. I'll be posting a final sketchfab soon :)
  • Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Ok, lets star with... you've got A LOT to learn up to the point that'm not exactly sure where to start, but i'll do the basics.

Your modelling skills are very poor at this stage, rather than creating entire diorama, i would really suggest that you focus on creating assets indifidually to improve your skills. At the moment it's basically few extrusions with elements lumped together. 

So firstly, Focus on individual items, once you get one to quality matching artwork, move onto the next item.
     I'm quite sure that your class assignment will rate you higher for creating high quality assets but not matching concept art, rather than shitty models imitating layout of the concept. (at least mine did and it wasn't even good university, so kinda speaking from personal experience here)

Secondly, you need to learn how materials work. To me it looks like you're having all materials on white specular colour with high gloss. What you're looking at in your scene is stylized artwork. To create artwork like that, you should actually paint your assets by hand.

For this kind of style, ideally you'd have no gloss, no specularity and have everything hand painted, slapping tileable wood texture with normals done in Crazybump on all assets is not a way to create good artwork. Quite frankly, it's recipe for disaster.

Image result for handpainted furniture game
    Here is example of kind of thing you want to do for this sort of art, create simple geometry matching silhouette, then paint all details you need by hand.

Either way, looking forward to your progress. Don't get discouraged :)
  • CloudedTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all of your feedback! A lot of assets had a much different roughness map that got lost in the transfer to unreal. Right now I didn't have the option to make any handpainted textures in photoshop or anything I primarily used substance painter but it is definitely something I want to work on over the summer on some individual assets. I will continue posting some smaller pieces in the critiques forum so stay tuned!
  • Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for all of your feedback! A lot of assets had a much different roughness map that got lost in the transfer to unreal. Right now I didn't have the option to make any handpainted textures in photoshop or anything I primarily used substance painter but it is definitely something I want to work on over the summer on some individual assets. I will continue posting some smaller pieces in the critiques forum so stay tuned!
    actually, substance is quite good place to create handpainted textures :)
  • Apocrs1980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
    I would add that you definitely want to spend some time in unreal learning the materials and how to hook up the values for your roughness,  spec, etc. 
    You can get some very good looking results out of the box just hooking up the maps substance bakes for you. It's a powerful program, keep learning!