Home Technical Talk

[3DSMax] Any way to copy Maya's smart selection?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Justo polycounter

Gif explains the behaviour I mean. This is something I always miss whenever working in Max; the ability to select components without having to directly move the cursor over the element.

Is there anything like it in Max? 

Replies

• miauu
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 13
    Justo said:

Gif explains the behaviour I mean. This is something I always miss whenever working in Max; the ability to select components without having to directly move the cursor over the element.

Is there anything like it in Max? 
    Create a plane in 3ds Max, convert it to editable poly object, open the Modify tab and under the Loop and Ring button(below the modifier stack) you will see Preview selection group of controls. Go to Edge subobject level, turn on the SubObj and move the cursor over the edges.
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Hey @miauu , thanks for answering. I knew about that bit, the problem with that is that it doesn't preview components at a distance, it's the same thing as before only now it highlights stuff as you move over them. Is there a way to increase the Preview 'range' somewhere, perhaps?

• miauu
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 13
    Justo said:
    Hey @miauu , thanks for answering. I knew about that bit, the problem with that is that it doesn't preview components at a distance, it's the same thing as before only now it highlights stuff as you move over them. Is there a way to increase the Preview 'range' somewhere, perhaps?

Yes, the preview range is not as you want. I will try to find if the preview range can be increased.  If someone else knows how to increase it,please share the secret.

• miauu
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 13
    The "highlight snap" radius is accessible in the SDK files. Does someone knows how to change its value?

• Pac_187
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    Where excatly miauu?

I looked through the Edit Poly Object cpp files and it's all hardcoded, no chance to change that.
    By default the hit region is 4 pixels and it will be mutliplied by 2 if you are in highlight mode.

This is from EditPoly.cpp in the 2018 SDK

There is a HIGHLIGHT_PICK_OFFSET constant at the top of the HitTestHighlight method, but it's a constant and cant be changed at runtime... also that one is only used if you are in multi highlight mode and used to test which of the possible components to highlight, if more than one component is a candidate for highlighting.

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    So wait, can't we just change that 4 int MakeHitRegion value to solve the problem? Your hit radius would increase and that would be the end of it, right..? @Pac_187
  • Pac_187
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it's not maxscript, so it's not that easy. This is C++ code which needs to be compiled. You would then replace your Edit Poly Object Plugin in 3ds Max with your own compiled version. Buuuut I don't know if the SDK sample code is up to date with all the fixes that the 3ds Max Team is pushing with each update/new version. Though I would stay away from it, it's probably doing more harm than good.

You could submit a feature request/idea and hope it will be implemented at some time in the future: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/idb-p/164

Or you comment and vote on this idea: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/improve-editable-poly-modeling/idi-p/7364911
    which is asking for improving the whole Editable Poly modelling process.
  • miauu
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 13
    Pac_187 said:
    Well it's not maxscript, so it's not that easy. This is C++ code which needs to be compiled. You would then replace your Edit Poly Object Plugin in 3ds Max with your own compiled version. Buuuut I don't know if the SDK sample code is up to date with all the fixes that the 3ds Max Team is pushing with each update/new version. Though I would stay away from it, it's probably doing more harm than good.

Yep, the value is hardcoded. The dotnet can be used to access some SDK stuff, for example:

iGlobal = (dotNetClass "Autodesk.Max.GlobalInterface").Instance<br>	--Get the node<br>	myNode = iGlobal.COREInterface.GetINodeByHandle 
    So, maybe this can be used to change this value.

I've checked the SDK for 3ds Max 2019 and the editable poly sample codes are updated, for example with the bias property of the Extrude Polygon caddy for Editable Poly objects. So, maybe this code can be used to complie a custom version with changed value of the "highlight snap", but as you said the next update may couses problems.

Exposing this value to maxscript is the best idea I think. This way I can leave it to 4 and Justo can set it to 80 pixels.

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Pac_187 said:

You could submit a feature request/idea and hope it will be implemented at some time in the future: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/idb-p/164

Or you comment and vote on this idea: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/improve-editable-poly-modeling/idi-p/7364911
    which is asking for improving the whole Editable Poly modelling process.
    Sure, I'll do it. I already commented and voted the second link, but I also wanted to submit this specific thing in case it helps. However I wanted to write this as best as I can, and I think you guys know of this way more than I. Would something like this work?

Idea title: Increase & Let Users Define Preview Selection Range

Description: The faster people can select stuff, the faster they work. Much like Maya's component selection works by default, increase the preview selection range so that the user don't have to move the mouse right over the element to be able to select it. By default, for normal selection this value is set to 2 pixels in the SDK file and this is multiplied by two with Preview Selection on. 4 pixels is not enough. Expose this value to maxscript or let users change this somehow. Making selected/previewed edges thicker would be nice too. 

?   
  • Pac_187
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I would generalize it. Increasing the selection range should affect the selection of objects/components in general, not just the Editable Poly preview selection range. Also if you dissect maya's selection behavior it's a bit smarter than just having selection range. E.g. if you are in vertex/edge mode and hover over a face, it will always preview the vertex/edge that's closest to the mouse pointer, no matter the selection range. The selection range seems to apply as soon as your mouse pointer is not over the mesh but over the dead-space (blank viewport space). Also you can tweak selection and preview-selection ranges separately.