Home General Discussion

Is M-16 Identical to AR-15?

Nerono
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Nerono polycounter lvl 5
Sorry if this might be the wrong forum to post this but from what I understand M-16 is the same as AR-15 except it has the option to shoot on Auto mode which AR-15 doesn't have.
I am really a novice when it comes to weapons, so I want to make sure.
Is it true? are they the same in any other way other than that? 
I want to model one and I don't know if I can use the AR-15's reference pics.
Thank you for your time.

Replies

• RaptorCWS
    Online / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

ar-15s cant do 3 round burst either, even if the lower receiver  has a spot marked on it for it. the only parts to my knowledge that are different are parts of the bolt carrier group and parts of the trigger group. if you google  what the difference is you will probably find some articles or videos showing the difference. externally though they look the same so as long as you aren't showing the weapon broken down id say you are good.
  • Nerono
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    RaptorCWS said:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

ar-15s cant do 3 round burst either, even if the lower receiver  has a spot marked on it for it. the only parts to my knowledge that are different are parts of the bolt carrier group and parts of the trigger group. if you google  what the difference is you will probably find some articles or videos showing the difference. externally though they look the same so as long as you aren't showing the weapon broken down id say you are good.
    It is such a bummet as I found the most amazing ar15 blueprints. I want to model an m16a2 as accurately as possible, if you got any source of reference/blueprints, let me know! Thank you for your help.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Unless you are modeling the inner parts, there isn't a difference. 

Military versions of the AR-15 type of rifle, like the M16, M4, etc, can fire 3-round burst. Older M16's had full-auto. AR-15's are a version of the same weapon but with a few key parts removed so that they can only fire semi-automatic. 

There is a million variations of this weapon, and it is also a very modular weapon, meaning you can have the same weapon with different doo-dads mounted on it, so it could look very different even with the same version. If you are not building the inside parts (like an exact replica), the only thing you need to do to turn any civilian AR-15 into a militarized version is add a third selection on the rotating safety lever : 3-round burst or auto. 

You should be able to find all the reference you could ever need with a google search. What kind of reference are you specifically looking for?
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Every M16 is an "AR15 pattern" rifle but not every AR15 is an M16.

AR15 is the generic class of weapon, M16 is a specific variant.

The biggest differences are internal and relate to the sear / disconnector. 
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yeah you're good too go, so use those AR15 refs because externally the differences are miniscule as follows:

- Mechanically the lower receiver has an extra hole machined to pin the auto sear in place above the selector switch (also some manufacturer omit the machining inside the lower receiver to allow installation of an auto sear selector switch in the M16 has extra grooves to allow it to disable the disconnector selector switch when placed in the auto/burst position open back design to allow for the auto disconnector.

- The hammer has a hook to catch on the auto sear.

- The bolt carrier has a longer section on the lower rear portion to trip the auto sear and release the hammer as it slams forward to chamber the round allowing it to continue firing until you release the trigger, on burst models the disconnector is released by the burst cam after 3 shots and stops firing until the trigger is pulled again

• Nerono
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    Unless you are modeling the inner parts, there isn't a difference. 

Military versions of the AR-15 type of rifle, like the M16, M4, etc, can fire 3-round burst. Older M16's had full-auto. AR-15's are a version of the same weapon but with a few key parts removed so that they can only fire semi-automatic. 

There is a million variations of this weapon, and it is also a very modular weapon, meaning you can have the same weapon with different doo-dads mounted on it, so it could look very different even with the same version. If you are not building the inside parts (like an exact replica), the only thing you need to do to turn any civilian AR-15 into a militarized version is add a third selection on the rotating safety lever : 3-round burst or auto. 

You should be able to find all the reference you could ever need with a google search. What kind of reference are you specifically looking for?
    An inside view the reciever so I could see the way the inner parts are placed inside the weapon. If you could help provide such imagery for the M16-A1 weapon, that would be great!
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I googled M16A1 parts, and voila. Also check youtube videos for field stripping AR-15/M16 if you want to see how the parts fit inside.

Not all of these images are bound to be A1's. IIRC, the A1 is the version with the triangular foregrip, the fixed buttstock, full-auto, and 20 round mag. Looks like the weapons on the first two rows fit that description.

For further studying, try searching for M16A1 field manual, parts list, specifications, etc.