Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] UE4 // Viking Town Environment

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
Hello fellow Polycounters

After having done my first environment, it's time to start a new one. I learned so much in the first one and I'm looking forward to seeing where this one takes me. As a challenge, I try to document it as well as possible.

So here are the 3 main concepts I'm taking as an inspiration for the Viking environment:

I'm going for a darker mood because it just tells so much of a story.

Started with the blockout in the engine. Just simple shapes and terrain to get a feeling for the scene. I painted over it in Photoshop to put my ideas in my head onto a picture :smiley: .

Always appreciate any feedback as I go along. 
See you next time and have a great day :smiley:

Replies

• YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First update. Building out the modular pieces to create the buildings. Lots of modeling and sculpting and doing some first pass on composition. Lots of props will be modeled as well. Let me know what you think. Appreciate any feedback! :smiley:

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This will look pretty cool. I feel like you should work on the silhouette of the mountains a lot. They really make the background interesting.
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will look pretty cool. I feel like you should work on the silhouette of the mountains a lot. They really make the background interesting.
    Thank you! Yeah definitely. On the left of the buildings, I'll try to build a great looking cliff in zbrush :smiley:
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Another update on the scene. Added some textures to start getting a feel for it. Working on a lot of props as well to populate the place. A cliff will be added, lots of plants etc. Vertex painting as well. The whole terrain-texturing will be a challenge :smile: 

Really excited to see how it all comes together. Any feedback is appreciated! :smile: Have a great day!

• YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _wrong post_ sorry :smile:

• YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update. So many props! :open_mouth: 

It's a lot of fun and I'm learning so much with the scene. A big challenge is the general layout of the buildings and the fences around them. To give it a "settlement-ish" vibe. Working on a cliff atm and soon the ground-textures will be added.

Feedback and input is very welcome :)

• YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE:

This is a big one. Added many more props and foliage. This makes the scene come alive really well. Also added the lighting, but this needs way more work. The cliff on the left will be added soon. So my further plans are to add some more props (to make the village a little more authentic) and to give the whole village a dirt pass with some vertex painting.

Feedback and inputs are very welcome so I can push the scene even more.

Have a great day everyone! :-)