Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Eowyn from LotR

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
lotta polycounter lvl 3
After a recent rewatch of the Lord of the Rings trilogy I wanted to make a game ready model of Eowyn. This is the first time a try my hand at a realistic character, so critique is very welcome! I am currently starting the texturing phase, but I will share the steps I took below.

Here's a snapshot of where I am now:

Replies

• lotta
    Offline / Send Message
    lotta polycounter lvl 3
    Here is the sculpt of the face. Hair and polypaint are very rough temporary blockouts to help me visualise the character better

Turnaround of my current sculpt:

• lotta
    Offline / Send Message
    lotta polycounter lvl 3
    Here are the retopo and the UV layout. I'm a little lost on how to properly distribute the pixel density for my UV's. I always try to space them as evenly as possible but the last time I asked for feedback on a human model people advised me to increase the UV size of the face. Do you think the rest of the body is fine or would you still resize some parts?

UV layout done using Maya's automatic layout tools. I'm considering re-doing the layout by hand and group by parts but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

• lotta
    Offline / Send Message
    lotta polycounter lvl 3
    I recently got 3D Coat and decided to try it out on this old model! 
    Trying to find a nice balance between realism and stylization that works with this model, PBR rendering and a 2k texture limit.
    I was too lazy to re-UV and re-bake so I just rolled with what I had. I'm having quite a bit of fun with this program! Material editing is not as flexible as Substance Painter, but I love how natural the painting process feels. In Substance I always feel like I'm fighting the program when attempting to paint. 

The current state of the textures, not finished but I like this visual direction. I'm still debating whether I should add hair before or after posing. I think it'd be cool to have her hair drape over her shoulders in a way that fits her pose.

The pattern on her chain mail skirt was an accident but I actually like it. Also too lazy to fix it, so yeah.