Home Career & Education

Which online school for 3D do you think is the best?

rusabrbl
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
rusabrbl polycounter lvl 5
Hi folks.

I'm a 22 teenager work in startup as a designer. My passion in 3D art still haunting me everyday if I can be an expert 3D artist in few years later.
I have trust issue in art school in my region because they teach us only basic and none of them talk about tips or what problems we would encounter in industry. Meanwhile I can't find a mentor that I'd like to have, because they never work in AAA type game or sort of things. So I droped out.

In my region (I'm not tell where), most of people and developers are using blender and develop mobile 2D games. After watch some video and adv, I think would take online course or school. Considering the price per course is better than I spend my $300 for 1 semester of lesson that I can find online.

I'm interested in 3D animation, environtment, or non humaniod character modelling. Where site that you think is the best of one of them, and why. For now my eyes are on gnomon workshop. Perhaps have second opinions from you guys will be great. And... mentors on online course are give critique to student right?

Thanks for your time, have a great day!

Replies

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    I'm enrolled with Think Tank. My foundation semester starts in June but I've had access to the private chat with all the other current students. The work they are putting out is fantastic and the only complaint I've heard is that no one is sleeping because they are getting worked so hard. The final semester is a 4 month 1 on 1 mentorship.

You can also check out CGMA, CG Spectrum, Mold3D, Uartsy/Game Art Institute, Gnomon Workshop. All have industry leaders pumping out great content.

I also personally recommend Shane Olson's 3d Character Workshop. Great instructor, good workflow to learn, a very active and supportive private community of about 400 members.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    pluralsight is about $30 a month and has tons of content. It's not the latest and most advanced techniques, but it gives a solid foundation in modeling, texturing, animation, rigging, whatever you choose. If you are just starting, I'd recommend starting with something that isn't hundreds of dollars. Also, those more expensive courses might not be as noob friendly.

I've used gnomon for a few courses, and it is not comprehensive like pluralsight is. You get access to like, maybe 50 different individual courses. They are not designed to follow one another, they just cover broad subjects, like high level overviews of specific workflows.

There is some courses that you can pick up some important techniques from, but it is typically intermediate level stuff that requires you to have some clue whats going on as a prerequisite. Also, it seems to be more film focused rather than game focused. Not a huge deal, but for a beginner not already having a solid footing in standard workflows, this could make things pretty confusing.

Pluralsight on the other hand has lengthy step by step tutorials that don't cover too much all at once and give you lots of repetition with the basics. You also get a lot of courses put into playlist that will give you 3 or 4 beginner level courses (this can be like 100-200 hours of step by step instruction), then 3-4 intermediate courses, and same with advanced stuff. So by the end of one of these "learning paths", you will have spent like 500 hours working in a program and getting really comfortable with it. By thaht time, you'll know enough that you can start working on your own things and be able to google any things you don't know to fill in the gaps.

That's my experience anyway.