Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for 2d practice Pals

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys, I've been away from 3d and 2d for 3+ (maybe 4?) years I think, was busy trying to learn other stuff like Japanese and C++, or just grinding away in some game xD
But now I would like to come back to the artistic side of things, so I'm slowly getting back into practice.

I've been doing 1 sketch a day for the past week and half, which you can see below, still I'm afraid I could end up making up excuses and saying "today I don't need to sketch", so the slight pressure of a deadline and practicing along with someone else I think would really help me to keep this going, even if only for 30 min a day.

So I'm looking for someone who would join me in this "group activity" on discord, the rules are simple:

•Every day by 20:00 (UTC+2), the members of the group alternate choosing the image that is the subject of study of the next 24 hours
•The choosen image must be a real photo, no works from other artists
•The choosen image must be of something that would fit in a fantasy world like, let's say Guild Wars 2. (Basically pretty much all that is made by nature is ok, and no modern man-made stuff like cars or cellphones)
•The study must be at least 30 minute, but if you're having fun you can keep going for how long you want.

Also disclaimer, I'm aware that most of you here are already pro or very serious about it and in the path to get there, for me this is an hobby amongs hobbies (like my daily japanese quiz review) therefore even though I'll be putting in at least 30 min every day, I suspect I won't be putting as much effort as you do in it, so I'll put this forward in case this "hobby-like relaxed" group activity doesn't reach the standard you would like to see.

So if you're interested, you can send me a pm here, answer below, or directly add me on discord and tell me there, I'm Marcus#5549

This are past week sketches to give you an idea of what I have in mind, ignore the shoe which wouldn't be allowed under the rules listed above:

Replies

• Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    I am actually already doing this everyday. so we can tag along and maybe we can help teach other something.
    I post stuff at insta and will be trying to draw everyday till may 4th.
    https://www.instagram.com/mehrankan/
    lemee know what you think
    I am doing gesture and value studies.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mehran Khan That's really cool stuff :) 
    I have nothing against anatomy, gesture and value study, though keep in mind that since we would be alternating each day choosing the image to study (as per rules above), when is my turn to choose I would probably tend to choose evinronments and props study, so if right now you only want to focus on human figure, I imagine my idea of group practice above could be not the right match for you.
    If environments and props are not a problem, then feel free to add me on discord so we can get started :)  I'm Marcus#5549

By the way, why doing it only until may 4th?!  Seems like a very specific and also near deadline :S
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    I'd certainly be interested. I've been trying to work on my 2D stuff this year and I'm finding myself slipping into old excuses of "I'll do it tomorrow" or "I've earned a night off".

• Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Auldbenkenobi we can be more than 2 on this (I've just changed the topic title to plural), add me on Discord :)

The way members alternate in order in choosing the subject of study for the next day won't probably work well with many people and will need to be revised, because if we have let's say 8 people that always propose anatomy studies and 1 that propose environment, ends up being not very balanced :\
    So if we'll ever get to that point, we'll switch to some other method for choosing the image of the day, like the members still alternate in choosing the subject of study but the type (environment / props / anatomy) is fixed by day of week, or some other similar solution :P
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We are 3 already inside the group, so the rule has changed this way: members still take turns in choosing the daily study image but the theme of study change every day according to this order: Environment -> Human Anatomy -> Props -> Animal Anatomy

Could be further refined I guess, but for now seems balanced.
    Also thinking ahead, I think we'll be capping the group between 7- 10 people, this because if this keeps growing then it would require moderators and such (as every big group), and I would like to keep it as a small hobby and "drama-free" group with no moderation required whatsoever

So still plenty of room, feel free to join :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And so this is our current schedule, the study change based on day of the week:
    Environment -> Props 1 -> Human Gesture (full figure) -> Architecture -> Animal Anatomy -> Props 2 -> Human Closeup ->
    and then it loops back.
    I figured seeying the schedule would help you decide if you want to join our daily challenge :)

• Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi guys, I have been slapped with a huge deadline, so crunch mode is on, Can I join after may 4th?
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the group is not too big by then, sure (can't predict the future hehe) :)  Currently we are 4, still plenty room left for people
    Btw here some of the stuff we're practicing on this days, in case someone else is interested as well:

• Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man. yeah I will try to jump in early if possible.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, today there was a little change to the rules of our group (following 2 kicks), I need to mention in case you join based on this topic, and you end up joining something different than you expected.  This is the new rule about inactivity inside the group:

INACTIVITY
    Failing multiple deadlines could bother unseen forces so much to call for a Kick. You can still ask to join back if that happens, but you need to understand this group is meant to motivate us to draw at least a little bit every day, I see your drawing and now I want to draw, you see mine and now you want to draw. If this doesn't happen (failing multiple deadlines) would make me and possibly other members go like <i><span class="post-color-blue">Fuck it, I don't really need to draw today</span></i>, thus completely defeating the whole purpose of this group. So this is why Kicks can happen :)
  • Alchemical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alchemical polycounter lvl 6
    Hello hello! I'd like to hop in if you don't mind :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alchemical: sure, add me (Marcus#5549) on discord