Home Technical Talk

Custom stuff and scripts at work?

Nico0307
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Nico0307 polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

Trying to get my skills in 3ds Max and Maya up to next level with custom hotkeys and scripts.

My conflict though is that I'm really unsure how this is handled at work.
I heard you kinda have to fight for being authorized to get paid scripts?
I feel like in can do well enough in Maya without scripts.
However, is 3ds max even worth it without any paid scripts?

I just don't wanna get super involved in planning and learning a customized workflow and then it's all for nothing.
Also all those scripts are prettyyy expensive. Counting 100+ euros for 3ds max paid modelling scripts alone.

So if anyone could give some insight how he she handles it, that'd be awesome!

Replies

• Mirbobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd think it largely depends on the studio you work in. Often studios might have a lot of tools and scripts of their own, and in some cases some scripts/hotkeys might conflict with them. But at least at Remedy we are pretty free to use any custom setups and getting a paid script is relatively simple, as they usually don't cost thousands of euros.

I do have more custom 3dsMax setup at home tho, but that's mainly because I mostly iterate on tools and workflows I need at home.
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    I don't know much about the garme industry as this has always been a hobby for me, but I do understand companies. The language they speak is profit; If you can make a case that they'll save money by investing in scripts for you, they will if they can.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It depends where you're at.

A lot of places will be pretty rigid because they don't want to support loads of third party tools or risk shitty Internet scripts breaking the internal toolset. 

Other places don't care. 

Personally I sit somewhere in the middle.  I'd much rather write tools internally but realistically we can't invest the time into producing something like ornatrix 
  • Nico0307
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nico0307 polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the answers! Looks like with everything in life you shouldnt get too dependant on things and stay flexible, as you can never know whats ahead. Even if it means that you're going to sacrifice some speed by not having every specific tool available. Also it probably doenst make sense to worry too much about this since I'm guessing workplaces will alteast give some time to adapt or help in that process
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    in response to your original question - i've used 3ds max for about 15 years as my primary 3d app and in that time never installed a single payware script/plugin. i recall even rejecting polyboost when it was offered amongst the team since i did not want to drown in a sea of special case rarely used buttons. maybe i just suck.
    i find relying on payware utilities that are closed source really problematic since these are often just a side project for a coder/techie who might not be commited to them all that long. the net is littered with abandoned things like that.

i do use some payware in my day to day work but that's in blender where they can't keep their code a secret so there's at least hope i can find someone to patch it for a new version should the issue arise.

as for the whole 'company just wants to make money argument' i find it worth noting that primarily you'll just be working with and for people who are a degree or two away from those directly concerned with budgets - and having to deal with their habits and preferences and attitudes first and foremost. i remember one project where the lead of another department had not picked up zbrush himself at the time and simply refused to have his team use it. :s

• onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    imo I think scripts are fine as long as it doesnt interfere with the studio pipeline. As in the End result is not dependent on the plugin or script. Meaning another artist can open and look at your work without extra script on plugin to be installed.