Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Time in Substance Designer

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Ditch triangle
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but here we go!

I recently started messing around with Substance Designer and really have falling head over heels.  My first materials a brick wall material, a stucco material and a blend of the two materials together.  These were also rendered out in Marmoset.  Any critics are welcomed and I hope to be posting more of these soon!

I hope everyone is doing well and have a great day!

Thanks for you time

Replies

• Ditch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ditch triangle
    Hey everyone,

After having some friends give me feedback and doing some additional research I made some changes that I'm really happy with and even made a new material!  I want to also keep my old stuff here, just for personal progress tracking.  Again any feedback is very welcomed and I look forward to messing more with this program!

Have a great day everyone,

And thanks again for your time!
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Hello. For blending materials, try the "height blend" node, which lets you blending them based on their heightmap. This gives nicely detailed, realistic blending.

Keep it up!
  • Ditch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ditch triangle
    Obscura said:
    Hello. For blending materials, try the "height blend" node, which lets you blending them based on their heightmap. This gives nicely detailed, realistic blending.

Keep it up!
    Thanks a ton Obscura!  I'll admit I didn't know that existed and took me waaaay (one might say embarrassingly) too long to figure out how to properly use the node to get the results I wanted.  However I really like the results and found it gave me far more of what I was trying to achieve at a more efficient cost.  Here's the new results and thanks again!

Now when I use my controls to effect where the blend brick is showing through, I get a far more natural creeping of the stucco.  Much more inline with what I was hoping to achieve without the need for several unneeded extra nodes and noises.

As always thanks for your time!