Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Art Portfolio Feedback

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
VladV95 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys. I've been applying for a few junior environment art positions  with no succes. 

I was wondering if anybody would take some time to have a look at my portfolio and give some feedback, please.

Thanks in advance!

My portfolio: 
https://vladislavkaragodin.artstation.com 

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I would remove the Battery prop. It stands right now as the weakest. 
    The corridor scene also could do with a lot more work or should be taken out entirely. In my opinion, it's a bad idea to make pieces based on tech demos. All your environments should have nice looking lighting. It doesn't need a seperate page that says so.

The forest environment is your best piece, but in my opinion, I think you made "too much" forest pieces. Someone might glance at your portfolio and think all 3 forests are the same.   
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    It would be nice to see breakdowns of the scenes. Show the different rocks you used to make the scene, how you modeled the trees etc, wireframes, texture sheets. Employers need to know that what you are making is done technically well, as well as looking good. 

Its hard to see the quality of the assets in the scene as you only see them from far away, a little breakdown of that campsite arranged in marmoset for example would be a good way to show off the props closer up. ]

I agree with Jordan, the prop is probably your weakest
  • VladV95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VladV95 polycounter lvl 6
    @JordanN @Doxturtle Thanks for the feedback guys, so from now on I will get rid of prop pieces and stick to only environments with breakdowns. But here is another question, is it a good idea to make fan art for my portfolio?
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Personally I have no idea, but this thread gives some good advice on the topic, http://polycount.com/discussion/76042/can-fan-art-be-used-as-a-portfolio-piece

One problem with fan art is that its probably been done already by other artists, so you are opening yourself up to comparison, same problem with really popular concept pieces.