Home Career & Education

Examples of artists who've started later in life and found success?

node
Offline / Send Message
Varoun node
Apologies in advance for probably being overly-whiny... I'm in a rut right now and really just need to vent and/or hopefully get some reassurance. 

I know this is going to sound silly because I'm still in my mid-twenties, but I feel as if I've already lost what seems like my biggest chance at breaking through and making a career of 3D modeling or art simply because I started too late. Every single time I read an interview from someone in the industry, they've found their passion when they were were in their early teens (or earlier), went to art school, yadda-yadda-yadda - you know the story. And with all the news about ageism in the [gaming] industry, studios outsourcing work done by artists, I'm just afraid that my circumstances will make the search that much harder when the years of future work are finally ready to pay off.

I don't want it to sound like I'm trying to make excuses for not starting or progressing. I do want this, and I'll certainly keep at it so long as I've got even a glimmer of a chance. What I'm hoping for with this thread are some accounts, whether personal or otherwise, of people who've come before me that have found success in similar circumstances -- they didn't attend art school, maybe started after their late teens or early twenties (or later!), were self-taught...

Just people who I can look up to as models that it's possible.

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Does it specifically have to be artists? I'm always telling people that the art industry shouldn't be looked at as a vacuum. Any career built around hard work has the same outcome of how successful you can be.

For example, consider the man who popularized McDonalds (Ray Kroc) was selling milkshake machines at the age of 52. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBugSKrM-44
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I'm in the same boat, except I'm about to turn 30. 

I expect that in about one more year of practice, I am going to be able to match some of my idols on artstation. And it looks like most of them have jobs, so I remain hopeful. 

But I feel you and totally understand the sentiment. Sometimes I feel great, other times I feel like I should just jump off a bridge. It usually has some correlation to whether or not I'm making progress, or stuck on some tedious stuff or having to redo something. 

Also, it would have been great to get started early and be an epic master by now, but I definitely don't regret any parts of my life so far. In a way, I'm kind of happy I had some years of "adventure" rather than getting straight into adulting out of school. 

• Varoun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Varoun node
    JordanN said:
    Does it specifically have to be artists?
    I suppose not, no. But just knowing that someone has come before me and was able to secure the kind of artistic/creative career that I want would be immensely helpful. I guess I just want to know that there's some kind of hope.

But I feel you and totally understand the sentiment. Sometimes I feel great, other times I feel like I should just jump off a bridge.

Also, it would have been great to get started early and be an epic master by now, but I definitely don't regret any parts of my life so far.
    I'm honestly loaded with regret. That I didn't start sooner, that I haven't worked harder. That I made so many wrong turns early on. I can't help but think about it. And it keeps putting that idea that it's too late in my head, hence posts like this. 

I honestly do wish you as much success as possible though!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you know, the worst thing that can happen is you fail. And then what? You work some job you might not love and keep on with 3d as a hobby. Is that so awful?

Maybe you get to where you can churn out pretty good models at a reasonable pace -- they aren't pushing the limits of the medium but they are decent enough to be used -- and you can make a little extra income selling these online. 

My work is far, far from where I want it. Not something that is going to draw any attention on artstation. And if I showcase it here, it can easily accumulate quiet a few critiques. And yet, I've managed to sell one model that I made. So somebody thought it was worthwhile. Is that enough to satisfy me? No, but its enough for me to settle on if it's all I ever achieve in this endeavor. 

That's how I look at things anyway.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Vincent Van Gogh..

Where's your art, @Varoun?  Share with us.  We are hungry.
  • Varoun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Varoun node
    Well, you know, the worst thing that can happen is you fail. And then what? You work some job you might not love and keep on with 3d as a hobby. Is that so awful?
    It's not exactly ideal, but I suppose it's not a terrible outcome.
    Vincent Van Gogh..

I've honestly never bothered to upload anything for viewing yet -- I'm still very much in that learning phase where basically everything is crap and I'd be quite ashamed to upload anything to ArtStation or Polycount. I know I should just get over myself and start posting here or on AS, but it still makes me nervous.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    Varoun said:
    Apologies in advance for probably being overly-whiny... I'm in a rut right now and really just need to vent and/or hopefully get some reassurance. 

I know this is going to sound silly because I'm still in my mid-twenties, but I feel as if I've already lost what seems like my biggest chance at breaking through and making a career of 3D modeling or art simply because I started too late. Every single time I read an interview from someone in the industry, they've found their passion when they were were in their early teens (or earlier), went to art school, yadda-yadda-yadda - you know the story. And with all the news about ageism in the [gaming] industry, studios outsourcing work done by artists, I'm just afraid that my circumstances will make the search that much harder when the years of future work are finally ready to pay off.

I don't want it to sound like I'm trying to make excuses for not starting or progressing. I do want this, and I'll certainly keep at it so long as I've got even a glimmer of a chance. What I'm hoping for with this thread are some accounts, whether personal or otherwise, of people who've come before me that have found success in similar circumstances -- they didn't attend art school, maybe started after their late teens or early twenties (or later!), were self-taught...

Just people who I can look up to as models that it's possible.
    James Schauf, he was a military until the age of 29 more or less than he attended Gnomon to pursue a career in VFX and now he is an environment modeler at Walt Disney Studios, he got the first job in the CG industry at the age of 32 or 33.
    Here is the webinar that i watched some times ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3iH8PPlv4M

If you want the full webinar with the other speakers you must go to the official Gnomon site.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Varoun said:
    I've honestly never bothered to upload anything for viewing yet -- I'm still very much in that learning phase where basically everything is crap and I'd be quite ashamed to upload anything to ArtStation or Polycount. I know I should just get over myself and start posting here or on AS, but it still makes me nervous.
    Post stuff.  Tons of people posting work they're not proud of (yet) in Polycount.  You're not the only one who's learning still.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Varoun said:
    It's not exactly ideal, but I suppose it's not a terrible outcome.
    Vincent Van Gogh..

You could also PM your work to artists (like me for characters, if that's your focus, can give you critique, resources)
    Posting sitewide is good too, replies vary since there's a lot of people posting.
  • Varoun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Varoun node
    NikhilR said:

You could also PM your work to artists (like me for characters, if that's your focus, can give you critique, resources)
    Posting sitewide is good too, replies vary since there's a lot of people posting.
    Thank you so much for the offer! I just don't want to bother people with my stuff, especially if they're here to relax. I'm still kind of caught between what I'd rather take a deep-dive in to between characters and environment art, but I might have to take you up on that!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Varoun
    Very few of us here are here to relax.  It would be safe to assume as much.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I used to fling out 2 examples to my students that don't really seem to exist online anymore.

Del Walker (Sr Character Artist at Rocksteady).
    http://drawingyourdreams.com

- When I first saw Del's work, it was "rough". Pretty much the textbook definition of amateur artist. Thing was.. he worked hard. Every month he participated in the GameArtisans monthly challenges. Participated in online contests, Dominance War.

I wish I still had his "Liberty City Citizens" entry), to show you the massive contrast with where he was a year later (Dominance War). Then where he was 2 years later, where he landed a job right out of school.

Thing was, in the span of 2 years, making about 24 models, we started to notice him getting better and better. 

Even though I had about 12 years of experience on him, within a year, he was mentoring me at a lot of things giving me valuable insight an feedback.

The other guy is Algenpfleger. And he had the most ridiculous thread on conceptart.org.
    He pretty much says page 1 he wants to learn how to draw. So he drew like a mediocre artist who copied anime. He drew SO DAMN much. Hundreds of studies a week. hands feet, jaws, lighting colour, tons and tons of mini sketches and doodles.

Unfortuantely most of the examples were taken down.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/114449-Algenpfleger-learns-to-draw-(He-really-does!)-2014-New-Sketchbook!

But within a year, he was a master.

• JacqueChoi
  • Varoun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Varoun node
    I used to fling out 2 examples to my students that don't really seem to exist online anymore.

Del Walker (Sr Character Artist at Rocksteady).
    http://drawingyourdreams.com

The other guy is Algenpfleger. 
    But within a year, he was a master.
    Thanks so much for these! I looked up Algenpfleger and while the thread is mostly filled with expired links, it's been an interesting little journey to read through. I did manage to find his ArtStation account with some of his latest art.

I think I'm going to follow in his footsteps, get some sort of daily or weekly thread going if I can. Something to help me stay accountable.
    Andreicus said:

James Schauf, he was a military until the age of 29 more or less than he attended Gnomon to pursue a career in VFX and now he is an environment modeler at Walt Disney Studios, he got the first job in the CG industry at the age of 32 or 33.

I watched the entire webinar, very insightful stuff - and proof that it's possible, which is what I was hoping for. Thanks for this!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I was 28 when I got my first game gig.  I had studied something completely different in college and a year after I worked using my first degree, I decided it wasn't for me and went to art school to pursue 3D.  I consider that somewhat late.  You are fine...keep crankin good art, good things will happen...
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I know what you mean. I felt the same way in my mid-20's. I didn't feel as comfortable with my stuff until I was around 28-29, joining Hardsuit Labs. It's technically my first in-house Environment Artist job, and it's still weird for me thinking back on it. The rest of the stuff I've done in the past were all 3D art related or 3D-related.

All you need is that push or motivation to get you going.
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    I am in my mid-twenties right now. I started about a year ago with my 3D journey. I worked my ass off and see great progress right now.
    You can either choose to take your age as an excuse or you choose to put in the hard work. Age is just a number man. Don't worry about it. Worry about what is in your control and what steps you can take to achieve your goal/dream. 

Motivation will help at first. But the key to success is discipline, persistence and hard work. You already know what you have to do. So go do it. I wish you all the best. 
  • Varoun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Varoun node
    slosh said:
    I was 28 when I got my first game gig.  I had studied something completely different in college and a year after I worked using my first degree, I decided it wasn't for me and went to art school to pursue 3D.  I consider that somewhat late.  You are fine...keep crankin good art, good things will happen...
    Thanks for this! It's definitely a reassurance. I'm also studying something completely unrelated to what I want to pursue, and I've only just realized in the past year or so that I enjoy it far less than I thought I would. It's not an easy thing to admit, but I'm at least glad to know that others have had similar experiences and found the same success that I'm looking for.
    I know what you mean. I felt the same way in my mid-20's. I didn't feel as comfortable with my stuff until I was around 28-29, joining Hardsuit Labs. It's technically my first in-house Environment Artist job, and it's still weird for me thinking back on it. The rest of the stuff I've done in the past were all 3D art related or 3D-related.

All you need is that push or motivation to get you going.
    That's true. I'm not sure how long it'll be before I'm comfortable with showing my work - though I think I'm just going to have to force myself at some point.
    YF_Sticks said:
    I am in my mid-twenties right now. I started about a year ago with my 3D journey. I worked my ass off and see great progress right now.
    You can either choose to take your age as an excuse or you choose to put in the hard work. Age is just a number man. Don't worry about it. Worry about what is in your control and what steps you can take to achieve your goal/dream. 

Motivation will help at first. But the key to success is discipline, persistence and hard work. You already know what you have to do. So go do it. I wish you all the best. 
    Thanks for the encouragement and support! All of these replies have been such a great motivator for me.

I just get so frustrated with myself sometimes because I realize just how much time I've basically wasted by being so afraid to continue forward and pursue something like this. Discipline, persistence and hard work is the right path.
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    Varoun said:

I just get so frustrated with myself sometimes because I realize just how much time I've basically wasted 
    It's a massive waste of time to worry about things out of your control. 

There's plenty resources online, I would probably suggest following a tutorial that makes something from scratch to finish. Have a library of references and inspirations. Most of the progress I made was studying on my own and being critical of my work, so don't worry too much about missing out on higher education in the area. Try not to focus too much on the outcome of your work for now, what's important is the progress you make in learning the software and developing an eye for quality. 

Do a bit of 3D every day and make a habit out of it. Set a goal for the next month, 6 months and year. Post on polycount.
  • Varoun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Varoun node
    Bedrock said:
    Do a bit of 3D every day and make a habit out of it. Set a goal for the next month, 6 months and year. Post on polycount.
    I think this is a great piece of advice. Thank you! I thought about it and basically decided to make my 'next month' goal to produce something new that I'm confident enough in to post here for critique. Still deciding on six months - maybe it'll be something like producing a small little environment.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Varoun
    I highly encourage you, no matter how you feel about the piece confidence wise, just post it to 3D Art Showcase.   Having little confidence in a piece is something WE want to help you with, and we can't help if we can't see what you're wanting to share.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Relevant GDC presentation

*fixed link

starts getting relevant to thread about 10 minutes in. Speaker shows some pro artist noob work, then their current works, and discusses some general principles for guiding improvement. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BIGTIMEMASTER
    That just leads to InXile's old game.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    A guy a went to school with was in his thirties, with a nursing career and two kids. I'm honestly have no idea how he kept up with his classwork.

He's at Pixar now.