Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dmitry_Morozov works (need your advices)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DmitryMorozov polycounter lvl 7
From the outset I want to apologize for my awkward English :)

For a long time I am drawing this concept, but I can't complete him. I need an unbiased view from the outside.

This is raven enchantress. I meant that this is a girl obsessed with the evil spirit of a raven (by analogy with the obsession with the devil)
This greatly exhausts her, as evidenced by emaciated leanness and slouch.
The dark spirit has not completely mastered her, so part of the torso and one arm are still human, and the other side is covered with black feathers.

The main guideline for the quality of work is this concept:

Main references:

Steps of work:

Issues:
1) Drawn a lot of elements, but they don't agree well with each other. The concept looks unfinished and scattered.
On the concept chosen for guideline the number of elements is about the same (or even slightly less) but they are much better consistent among themselves.
I see for sure that in my art this integrity and coherence is not present but I don't understand because of what and how to fix it.

2) I'm not sure about the idea with the staff. Variant with a crow's head on top of a stick - this is very trivially, depicted in hundreds of other concepts.
Nest on a curved snag seems a little strange idea :) It is intended that in it live "black nestlings".
Enchantress can attack the player with their help (by analogy with the film "The Birds" Hitchcock)

3) All elements seem very similar, I would like to diversify them  but not to the detriment of the integrity of the whole concept (with her and so many problems)
I have several ideas on this, I wonder what you think about them:

I really hope for your comments and help!

Replies

• DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to refine the archer's concept created earlier.
    I wanted to create something in the style of The Witcher.

The original version seems to me overloaded with details, there are many elements in it that attract attention equally (collar and hood, for example)
    I made two variants of the final concept, because I can't determine  the suitable level of detail. Which one seems better?

I wonder which variant you think is more successful Before or After.

• DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slightly changed the design of his bow. The former seemed to me a bit cartoon and separate from the rest of the concept.
    In addition, there were a few minor changes in the design of the costume.

I wonder what you think about it!

• DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some refinement for light on volumes and minor changes of silhouette. 
    I tried to show how elements created from different types of fabric fluttering in the wind to emphasize the impression of her flight. The idea of the crow's nest seemed a little far-fetched to me, so staff replaced by a more conservative variant.

In addition, I suggested that a necklace of bones would make the enchantress more sinister. Something close to this impression:
    https://i.pinimg.com/564x/86/3f/bf/863fbf75b78092106d9b6cdfab593ff8.jpg
  • BoonS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoonS polycounter lvl 7
    I understand if you're practicing for the sake of illustration, but if I were to make a sculpt/model from your concept I'd be more interested in the choices you're making for it to look in 3D. At the moment the details are a bit blurred from the brush strokes, and that could lead to mistranslations between the concept and the model. So if you want to take that route, I'd advise you focus more on establishing details and intentions over general lighting and subtle detail adjustments (not that you should ignore those entirely either.)

And just for example this is what I'm reading from your concept through my own personal tastes. If there are parts of it that are wrong to you, just make sure to define how you want it in your concept so it won't end up that way in the hands of another artist.

Hope that heleps.
  • DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the excellent feedback, Owls! I'm sorry for the late reply :)
    I fully agree with your comments. The concept really have  problems with subtle attentive detailing. For me it has always been difficult to express the main idea, not only at the level of common forms, but also in small details.

I hope that I will be able to implement your advice in the final work!
  • DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simple weapons concept.
    This is a battle thurible. It is used by warrior monks belonging to a radical religious community. The prototype of the medieval Inquisition, which eliminate witches and other "possessed by evil spirit", based on religious beliefs.
    Сritique, as usual, is welcome!

• DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely have problems with sculpting volumes by lighting and rendering materials. Because of this, it's impossible to finish the concept of raven-witch to the final.
    I decided to practice on still-lifes. This turned out to be much harder than it seems from the side...

reference:

This is not yet complete. It is necessary to believable show the material of the old ceramics from which a pitcher is made. Now it is very "friable".:

reference:

• DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    likely this is the final version:

• DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm lost in this concept :(

In during edits she became similar to the harpy. But the main idea was to make her sorceress.
    Creature using predominantly a mental force, not a physical one.
    Something introvert by nature, receiving strength within itself.

Presently she is too open, "understandable." There is nothing "witchcraft" in it; nothing is associated with mysticism, mystery.
    Just an evil harpy, who is obsessed by the desire to destroying everything that sees.

Independently (by myself) I don't know how to fix this.
    Therefore, I will switch to other works with which is more clarity, and come back to this later.

I will be very glad to hear advice and criticism about this concept.

• DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An attempt to improve the old concept of a warrior girl.
    It seems to me, the new version is more successful than the past one. I wonder what you think about it :)

I plan to change her pose  in the process of further work.

• DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trying improve this ugly concept  a bit
  • DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adjustments colors, refine silhouette

• DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely need your advices! To be honest, work without any feedback its really hard.