Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First 'serious' Zbrush practice in my whole life

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
 Man, I dunno.

I shelved out my precious money to buy Zbrush 2018. And decided to do something with it. I watched a few tutorials and read some documents. The real roadblock is that I need to conceptualize first in 2D thoroughly. For this practice, I did not prepare any sketch and improvised the design straight out of my head. 

Fortunately for me, it's more fun than I expected. And I also realized that few people utilize most of existing functions anyway.

The rendering was done with Modo. As you see, I have no clue how to properly retopo the zbrush mesh. 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Once you get more comfortable with the range of tools Zbrush offers, you'll be able to concept right there in 3d. Making sketches and collecting reference is still worthwhile though.

As far as retopologizing and making game models, that's a bit to learn and practice but all the information is out there -- a lot here on the polycount wiki.

In order to get accustomed to the tools and also find out whats all in there, you might keep filling out this character -- doesn't matter where it goes you can just make it up as you go -- and inevitably you will run into situations where you will think, "this would be easier if I could do something like this..." and then you search for whatever that idea is, and most of the time you are going to find there is a tool just for that purpose. Not the fastest way to learn, but it's a very fun way and what you pick up will stick with you more than just following tutorials or reading documentation.