Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fountain of Life (2D/3D)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Chill_Pill polycounter lvl 4
Hey gang!

I like fountains ! Always had. Actually now that I think about it, that was the one thing that got me interested in 3D, more than 15 years ago. I've been thinking about making a UE4 scene over the last few weeks, so here we go!
The scene : An old tree (kind of a giant old ficus, I love their roots) sits at the center of an old fountain. Its roots dive into the water, and overflow all around. Its branches lay low and form a canopy that will blend with a pitch black sky with stars. These stars will also blend into the scene as some sorts of floating light particles. The main light source will be the glowing water. Steps lead to the core of the fountain, which is shaped like a +. You need to swim until you get under the tree if you want to reap the benefits of this enchanted place. I see it as a health or mana regeneration level.
I would like that bio luminescence mood (I'm a sucker for the world of Avatar..).
Here are the main challenges I see ahead : 1st, let's keep it somewhat stylized. Not cartoony, but in-between.
2nd, let's keep it a small (=doable in less than one lifetime :neutral: )
3rd, complex shaders and materials, even though I know my way around and I have some professional experience in UE, this will take some fiddling around.

Anyway ! I'm currently in the concept and block-out phase, obviously I'll take all of your critics and suggestions please :)

Quick 1st layout just to figure out what modular pieces I need + developing the style of the hero asset, the tree. Fun times in Zbrush ahead :)

Pillars exploration. I like the F, D,E and B ones. Feel free to let me know which one you'd pick.

Arches exploration. I used pillar D as a base.

Still not sure about the pillars...

OR

Replies