Home Freelance Job Postings

Looking for a Skilled 2D Artist for a Platform Game

Hello!

I'm an indie developer looking for an experienced 2D artist who can create smooth, cartoon-style assets and animations for a platform game. The exact style choice has not been set in stone, but the aforementioned style or something similar is what I'm currently leaning towards. I do know that the style I am looking for is not pixel art, in any case.

Here are a couple examples of what I consider to be cartoon styles:

Wario Land: Shake It!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZcrTHFN9ew

Guinea Pig Parkour (WIP Indie Game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyf7woNPfBM

ABOUT THE GAME

The game is a 2D platformer revolving around grappling hook mechanics. There have been countless games to utilize the same mechanic before, but to my knowledge, none of them have used it as extensively as I am planning to do.

The game is currently in the prototype phase with all graphical assets being placeholder programmer art. Despite this, a small gameplay clip of the prototype was received fairly well by fellow indie developers in feedback groups of Facebook.

You can see the clip here (prototype programmed by @Awkwardnaut):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IndieGameDevs/permalink/10155063421266573/

Thanks to all the feedback I've gotten in such an early phase, I believe that this game has a lot of potential, provided that every single feature in it will be implemented properly.

THE SCOPE

The main focus will be to create a playable demo of this project, which would contain at least one full world. In short, this would include at least the following:

-Main character, 75+ frames

-3 - 5 enemy characters, 30+ frames per one enemy, so 90-150+ in total

-2 Boss characters, 45+ frames per boss, so 90+ frames in total

-All gameplay objects of a single world

-All background assets and props of a single world

-Menu assets for the main menu and the pause menu

The most complex tasks would be animation the main character and all the enemies. While the gameplay objects and backgrounds require details as well, they do not require as much animating as the characters, and there will be many props that will be static / almost static.

I am estimating that all of this work would be completed in 4-6 months, but the deadline is not set in stone and the work will continue for as long as all the assets will be completed.

PAYMENT

The total payment amount is negotiable.

All payments will be sent via PayPal unless agreed otherwise. For the protection of both parties involved, the total payment will be split into smaller parts that will be sent after completion of smaller milestones, spaced 2-4 weeks apart from each other. No payment will be deposited before you have provided watermarked (or otherwise unusable) versions of your work. This acts as a proof that the agreed work has been completed, and this also leaves little incentive to not send the final, non-watermarked assets after a payment has been completed.

APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION

Please provide a link to your previous work that is similar in nature to what I'm looking for and reply to the following questions:

1.   Please name a few of your favorite 2D platform games and explain briefly what makes you enjoy them so much.

2.   Please let me know about your rates per frame/animation. You can use your previous work as a reference point for the prices.

I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you skilled artists out there! :)