Offline / Send Message
Pinned
aaa511384 polycounter lvl 3

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Interesting question and I want to see what answers are given as well. In a global marketplace, how can somebody living in an expensive place compete against similarly skilled people who can live like kings on the same income?

I expect the answers can only be along the lines of "get even better." What else is there to do? Of course, besides your skill in the medium, I think a potential employer should be looking for somebody with strong communication skills, especially from a concept artist. Awesome art isn't worth much if it isn't what you were looking for after all. 

• Eric Chadwick
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    aaa511384 said:
    Hey guys someone recently contacted me about some freelance concept art job, I offer about 200usd a day considering I am still a new freelancer, but he said its a bit too expensive and he eventually told me he hired another artist with 15usd an hour with the similar quality as me. I just think that is a bit too cheap?
    You're right. Two hundred a day is at the very inexperienced end of professional rates. 15 an hour / 120 a day is third world money and like you said, might as well go work at Mcdonalds for that. Probably a shit client if they're comfortable with it. You dodged a bullet and they'll get what they pay for.
     In a global marketplace, how can somebody living in an expensive place compete against similarly skilled people who can live like kings on the same income?

People charging "global rates" are never similarly skilled. They do bad work, deliver late. And they aren't living like kings. The skilled ones move out of the "global marketplace" without much trouble. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    People charging "global rates" are never similarly skilled. They do bad work, deliver late. And they aren't living like kings. The skilled ones move out of the "global marketplace" without much trouble.  

If this was true at all, outsourcing wouldn't exist. 

Jobs that used to be "skilled labor" are now churned out by people in places like China or India who are just as smart as you but with much more motivation to work hard. Moving to places like Canada or Singapore or the US is definitely not easy, and not every skilled person wants to do that anyway. I have plenty of in-laws who live happily in India while much of the family lives elsewhere. Much of the reason is maintaining a familiar lifestyle, but I suspect part of the reason as well is that they can afford more with less where they live and to move out of the country into the same profession elsewhere would make life more of a struggle.

In 2018, it's not "if you want a good life move to the west," and every day it becomes less so. 

Right now, the west is still the most affluent and thus people like you and me can afford to get the latest equipment and good training and we don't struggle to meet essential needs, so yes we would on average be able to exercise a higher level of professionalism, but I don't think it's wise to assume that anybody charging less than you will be inferior. 

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Your freelance rate also depends on your negotiating ability and how much you need the job. Over-saturation does bring rates down for everyone, but if your client really values you for your skill you should be able to agree on a fair rate.

Again it comes down to how necessary your skill is to them so they know they are getting what they are paying for.

Also I'm more of the opinion that regardless of your seniority, you should charge an amount you need and perhaps a bit extra for incidentals. 

Not certain if the client is being entirely honest that they has found someone with the same skill as yourself but it is clear that their priority is to save as much as possible.

I think your work is pretty good, and though I don't know what your client wants, you seem well versed in the fundamentals to tackle something specific to the job.
    Perhaps someone more skilled at concept art can give you better critique. (I like the stray cat the most!)
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    As said above it's all about how much you dare to ask for, the best paying jobs are the ones you don't want.
    Sometimes you get surprised when you give a crazy rate just because you aren't really interested but then they are totally fine with it.

Of course the main point is how much the client wants you and how easy they can find someone else with the same skills.