Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Hagrid's Hut - Hand Painted

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ziweipan null
Harry Potter has always had a huge impact on my childhood and I wanted to create a tribute to it! I wanted to use the iconic imagery and shapes of the movie series while referencing things from the books without taking away from the visuals that people are used to. I want to focus on character and storytelling for this project, so the scene will have mostly unique textures and UVs.

Final render is intended to be flat shaded in a marmoset viewer, but I'd also like to play around with lighting for different times of day in Unity.

A projected deadline of May 15th - it's a class project but I wouldn't mind working on it more in my spare time afterwards!

Most recent progress will be updated in this post.

Paintover for the current scene - planning out textures and shapes: this is essentially my concept art for now!

CURRENT UPDATE:

Replies

• ziweipan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ziweipan null
    And since I'm a little late posting this project, here's some of the progress work in concept / planning that's happened so far:

Early block-in:

Prop Sheet:

Prop blockouts: 
    Most stayed the same proportions / shapes, but I ended up rounding out the wheelbarrow as I modeled it so it bowed out more from the weight of the giant pumpkin.

Model / placement update:

• deanmay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deanmay polycounter lvl 4
    Hey, you figured out polycount.

At this stage, I'd recommend throwing some swift loops in the buildings and using a simple FFD modifier to wonk things up a bit and bring the flavor of the sketch into your blockout.  It'll help get a better feel for what's gonna overlap later on, and it's just fun to do.
  • ziweipan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ziweipan null
    Yeah will do! I'm currently blocking out the textures so I have an idea of what everything looks like together. I started doing a progress update and ended up thinking of a bunch of stuff to do to it later while calling out the stuff I had planned!

• ziweipan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ziweipan null
    Update on some textures I've started blocking in for the props! I've been using mostly 3D Coat for the prop painting and baking out only AO maps to figure out the placement of things. 
  • ziweipan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ziweipan null

Working slowly on props for the scene! I plan on making several variations of things the crates can contain -- meat for the carnivorous creatures is the first on the list. :)