Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Jump wip

BenEdwards94
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
BenEdwards94 polycounter lvl 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGcXbmjKvMg&feature=youtu.be

Re-upload of the jump with better quality render. Critique welcome.

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Hey man,

One thing that sticks out is why would he step forward only to jump up straight?

Also, upload to syncsketch so we can frame through it.
  • BenEdwards94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ref I used does exactly that. It might just be that I need to move him a little more forward so he travels a bit further.  I totally forgot to upload this version haha my bad. I'll do it now
  • BenEdwards94
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, nice start! I think the main thing for me is that its not a very appealing jump. The best thing about animation is that we can take something from life and make it more interesting. If this is what happens in the reference then push the appeal of it yourself.

I wouldn't have both feet leave the ground at exactly the same time in exactly the same pose and there is also a lot of twinning happening with the arms. Try offsetting some of those by 1 or 2 frames and it will feel much nicer.

The landing feels a little weak too, add a little more weight to his body after his feet plant and try keeping his arms in the air a little longer and having them come down after the landing (again, don't have the feet land at exactly the same time, even if thats what happens in the reference).
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a lot of weird stuff happening with the hips when he jumps up. They travel up, then they go the side and then they land. Also, some spacing issues.

If you're just getting into animation, then I would start with the bouncing ball. Just treat the hips like a ball and pretend you're animating a ball bounce.
  • BenEdwards94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a lot of weird stuff happening with the hips when he jumps up. They travel up, then they go the side and then they land. Also, some spacing issues.

If you're just getting into animation, then I would start with the bouncing ball. Just treat the hips like a ball and pretend you're animating a ball bounce.
    Gotcha. The jump is still pretty rough atm so that will be addressed. The guy in my reference when you look at the front view, he kinda jumped to the side like I have tried to imitate. Would it be better if I just kept him travelling in the z translation? 
  • BenEdwards94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, nice start! I think the main thing for me is that its not a very appealing jump. The best thing about animation is that we can take something from life and make it more interesting. If this is what happens in the reference then push the appeal of it yourself.

I wouldn't have both feet leave the ground at exactly the same pose in exactly the same pose and there is also a lot of twinning happening with the arms. Try offsetting some of those by 1 or 2 frames and it will feel much nicer.

The landing feels a little weak too, add a little more weight to his body after his feet plant and try keeping his arms in the air a little longer and having them come down after the landing (again, don't have the feet land at exactly the same time, even if thats what happens in the reference).
    I thought something wasn't right to be fair with the landing I did a bit of tweaking and it was alot better than before, at least. Just still didn't look right to me. Thanks Adam I'll have this as a top priority
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Gotcha. The jump is still pretty rough atm so that will be addressed. The guy in my reference when you look at the front view, he kinda jumped to the side like I have tried to imitate. Would it be better if I just kept him travelling in the z translation? 
    I was referring more to the TZ from the side view. I've made some notes on syncsketch to try to explain it better.
  • BenEdwards94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I was referring more to the TZ from the side view. I've made some notes on syncsketch to try to explain it better.
    Ahh I see what you mean now. Thanks a bunch!