Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2017 - Layer Explorer gone boom, anyone seen this before?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
danr interpolator
well this is a mad one

i've got quite a complex max file that relies heavily on layers for navigation, export etc. At some point today (i've had my head down in Uvs and haven't really noticed when) all my existing objects have ... welll ... totally disassociated themselves from the concept of layers.

Not only have my layers dissapeared, all those dozens of objects off to the right (bounding box view so i'm not breaking NDA) are not visible at all in the layer explorer, and cannot be assigned to a layer. They should at the very least be  in 0(default). Everything is on under Display>Object Types, display non-dynamics etc etc.

i can create new layers and new objects - the teapots - go into them just fine as you can see. Its just all my existing objects have become totally layer-averse.

Its the same if i merge everything into a fresh, reset scene, so seems to be something to do with the objects themselves rather than the max file.

Anyone have any ideas? This is currently fucking me over, it's mental.

[slight edit] i've gone back a few check-ins in SVN and found when it was okay, it was just before i started UVing in anger, dunno if that could be related.
ta

Replies