Home Technical Talk

How would you do this?

Apepaaah1
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Apepaaah1 null
Hi all,

I'm a beginner, currently working on a model of the original Enterprise from Star Trek in Lightwave 11.

I'm trying as best as I can to imitate the pictures I've found of the Smithsonian restoration of the original 11 foot model. To my mind, I've done fairly well so far and created a fairly clean high poly mesh, but there are a few parts that are bothering me, particularly the front part  of the secondary hull. Please have a look at the reference image:

I'm currently working on a way tor reproduce this in Modeller, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest how they would approach it?

Thank You.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Check out the "how do I model..." sticky thread in the technical talk. Its always one of the threads on the top. It has millions of examples of cutting things into cylinders.
  • Apepaaah1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apepaaah1 null
    Obscura said:
    Check out the "how do I model..." sticky thread in the technical talk. Its always one of the threads on the top. It has millions of examples of cutting things into cylinders.
    Thanks, but that thread is way too big to dig through for that.

Anyway, I think this is about as good as I'm going to get it. I cut out the polys on the relevant parts of the hull, built the rectangular parts, welded it all together and adjusted the points so they fit the curve of the cowling...more or less. Not perfect, but I think the alternatives would be much messier and/or more time consuming.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Very clean modeling so far!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Looks like you've succeeded. Move on. Keep modeling. ;)