Home General Discussion

New CPU, I7 8700K, Ryzen 1800X or Threadripper?

Easton
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Easton vertex
I am going to need to upgrade my PC soon, I am running a 4.5Ghz I5 6600K, 32Gb 3200Mhz RAM, AMD Fury, 1300 watt PSU.

I am getting into photoscanning a little bit more and I read that faster speeds benefit here more than anything, the same with 3DS Max and Photoshop.

I thought I was for sure going to get the 1800x but then read into the I7 8700K a little more and for game design, photoscanning, photography, some GIS and gaming it looks like I may benefit more from the faster speed of overclocking it to 5+Ghz

The 1800X has 8 cores and more threads so when I eventually get into more intensive tasks it will help.

Threadripper seems overkill, I don't need 12-16 cores but it has 8 ram slots which I may need, I have 32gb of ram now in 4 sticks, BUT id have to get rid of it and waste money on 64gb 4 sticks and that is $800 minus whatever hit I take from selling my used ram...this is one major reason I am considering threadripper.

AMD is keeping their MB's for 2 more years, so I could just slap in a new CPU if I want to, I don't know if Intel is going to do this.

My wallet doesn't want Intel after seeing how they operate as a company, they constantly release new sockets with no performance increases and jacked prices up when AMD wasn't competing, but I don't want to buy a CPU that is slow in some things and fast in others with AMD.

Is it worth waiting for Ryzen + and then seeing what happens with  Ryzen 2 or getting the i7 8700k?

Edit: I should probably add that I also have 2 4k 60hz monitors, I read that matters in some cases for gaming, I mostly work on the PC though.

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    http://polycount.com/discussion/173350/upgrading-or-building-a-new-pc-this-is-the-thread-for-you/p1

And to answer your question: AMD will be releasing the 2700X soon, so if you want to go with AMD (but not threadripper) you should be looking towards that instead of the 1800X.
    For Intel, the 8700K is a great CPU, but the "Meltdown" and "Spectr" bugs it has are potentially quite serious. The Icelake series could potentially be getting released within the next half year with the bugs taken care of, but then again it may not be out until 2019.
  • Easton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Easton vertex
    I thought the spectre stuff was already sorted out? I read an article yesterday that an Israeli tech company found flaws in Ryzen too.

If I were to wait until the 2700X would that be better than the 8700k for this sort of stuff? Or is the Intel's speed all around better

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The company you're talking about is CTS-Labs, and many believe the story they released about finding flaws in Ryzen was a ruse to manipulate AMD stock. Seriously, it's pretty messed up.

And as for the bug being sorted, well...kind of. There are patches as part of windows update, but they can reduce the CPUs performance (the initial versions could be as bad as 30% performance loss, not sure about newer ones), and may make the system slightly less stable.

That said, the 2700X I expect will be roughly on par with the 8700K (the 1800X is slightly worse). No way to know for sure though since benchmarks aren't out yet.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Spectre and meltdown won't be sorted out in software, an actual design resolution to meltdown could be years away. You can still get infected even with microcode updates. Anti-virus can not prevent meltdown infection, at best it can prevent you from spreading it to others.

About the vulnerabilities found with AMD, it's not what it has widely been reported to be, and is nowhere near as serious as the problems facing Intel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZd1_iLAWs0&t=63s

I am personally done with Intel chips for the foreseeable future, and am in the process of mothballing all of my Intel machines.

• Easton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Easton vertex
    Yeah that would not surprise me, I actually keep up with tech stocks a lot but did not read into that story that much, I found this:

https://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Viceroy+Research+Negative+on+Advanced+Micro+Devices+(AMD)+Amid+Security+Flaw/13937313.html

" "We believe AMD is worth $0.00 and will have no choice but to file for Chapter 11 (Bankruptcy) in order to effectively deal with the repercussions of recent discoveries."

That's just ludicrous, their stock is actually worth $15 a share compared to Nvidia and Intel and now it is $10. Intel has worse flaws from what I read and no one is saying the same about them.

After looking into benchmarks more and seeing the 8700k beating the 1800x, not by much, I think you are probably right and the 2700x should be Just as good or better.

I am probably going to buy a motherboard now and wait it out for a month or so until I get a new CPU, then I have to find out what to do with my current MB and CPU... Would you recommend against buying a refurbished Motherboard to save $100?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144127&cm_re=x370-_-13-144-127-_-Product

• Easton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Easton vertex
    I bought a AMD Vega Frontier yesterday then canceled the order because it hit me that I just flopped down $850 for a GPU, holy crap is a decent GPU expensive right now.

I think I am going to wait on Vega 64 to drop in price back to $550 from the $1100 its at now and then hopefully that Frontier will be cheaper too, I guess ill have to scrape by with my 4gb gpu.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Easton I'm not sure if the X370 motherboards will work with the 2700X right out of the box, they may need a firmware upgrade first. Getting an X470 board might save you some grief there, but they wont be released until the new CPUs are.
  • Easton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Easton vertex
    Is there any real difference in the x370 and x470? It's the same socket, will they have greater overclocking abilities or is it generally going to be the same?

As long as there is not any real difference I could just buy a X370 which is probably going to be a little cheaper
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposedly the X470 boards will be better for overclocking and have support for faster RAM.
  • Easton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Easton vertex
    Hardware wise how is that possible? I thought the overwhelming majority of benefits come from the CPU itself and not the motherboard? 

Also, I noticed the price drop on the 1800x is $175 cheaper on Newegg, why would the new Ryzen 2700x be only maybe 10% faster for more than likely $500? Price to performance unless the new CPU is on steroids and 30% better then the 1800x is the better deal

I guess I will wait and see what happens in April, surely there will be at least a 20% improvement

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 2700X is expected to be $370, so not much more expensive then the current 1800X prices.
    For overclocking, yes the CPU is the most important part by far, but the motherboard can be designed to better accommodate large CPU coolers, have additional voltage and frequency settings in the bios, and a few other minor things. Just google the X470 and see if the benefits mentioned are worth it to you.