Home Unreal Engine

Importing game character with different types of material profile in ue4?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
So i have created a game character and i already put it in marmoset toolbag. I want to put it in unreal engine especially to try their subsurface scatter material profile. But the thing is my game character has the skin and the armor and the legs combined into one single mesh. How can i achieve this in the material graph?

I saw the material layering beta in 4.19 for a while but im not sure for now. Which option do i have? Whats the most popular option for now?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Add an extra material id to the skin parts. Its always done like that because blending of different shaders is not possible. However, blending different materials with the same shader is possible.
  • hegvbwkeuyrv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its all inside the same material graph then?

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    What is inside the same material graph??
    It takes nothing to go to youtube and check out how layered materials works. But from what I see, you don't know what it would do, whats the benefit / downside so you probably don't need it and you can just throw an extra material ID on the skin parts and go with a simple skin shader / material.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Assign a material for each part of that model necessary. 

On import into unreal, check "import materials."

double click material icon, set up accordingly.

You'll need better instructions if it's your first time. You can find them in the Unreal Learn area. This all belongs in Material 101.

Quixel has some good youtube videos that show some more advanced uses you may want to look at later, like making Master Materials and then making Instances that can have adjustable parameters.  Look up "photo realistic landscape in UE4" for that.