Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Gabby VanAmberg

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
CloudedTech polycounter lvl 2
Hi there! I'm currently a game art student and I'll be posting a lot of 2D and 3D work. Critiques always welcome!

For a closer look at the geometry and where it is at now, click the sketchfab link here: https://skfb.ly/6xCOT

Replies

• CloudedTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Currently Working on 3D modeling this concept art by Elodie Mondoloni (Original post: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v690x)
    I'll be taking it through a full game dev pipeline to make it a game ready asset!

Here is my first rough rough blockout!

• CloudedTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

A few updates! Added some details and started turbosmoothing! 
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Ooooh this looks fun! Don't have much feedback besides just try to keep in mind about the edges in the concept are a bit more soft than what you've got now.  
    Looking good so far!  Just subbed to the thread and looking forward to more! 
    :)
  • CloudedTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon said:
    Ooooh this looks fun! Don't have much feedback besides just try to keep in mind about the edges in the concept are a bit more soft than what you've got now.  
    Looking good so far!  Just subbed to the thread and looking forward to more! 
    :)
    Thanks!! Just updated the sketchfab!
  • CloudedTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High poly model in 3DS with a few extra details:

• CloudedTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adding some high poly details in zbrush that I will be baking onto my low poly model!
  • CloudedTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final result! 

• Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Gabby, 

So i'll be honest I'm a little bummed to see you wrapping this piece up.  I don't think it's in a terrible spot by any means, but there are some parts that definitely come across as not finished.  And personally I think if it was a time constraint thing, you could really make this model pop if you revisit it.  I made a side by side of your model against the concept to help illustrate what I mean:

I think where you've got the van is looking pretty solid! But, if you compare yours against the concept there's a handful of stuff that I think you added and tweaked to your model could really make it pop!  If you just check the circle areas on the concept compared against your model, I think you'll have a good idea what I mean.  

I definitely understand time constraints and being under pressure to hit a deadline. I think what you've got right now is pretty good!  But if you're looking for a great solid portfolio piece I say give yourself a small break from this project and then come back and hit parts I pointed out.  

Awesome to have been following along on this thread and I hope to see an update in the future. :)

• CloudedTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Joebewon! Thank you for the feedback! I hope to revisit this model more in the summer and make a lot of adjustments!