Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Repeating Crossbow Modeling

LacedwithJoy
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
LacedwithJoy polycounter lvl 2
Hello polycount!

I'm starting an in-depth 3D model of the Repeating Crossbow from Dark Souls 3! 
I'll be posting my progress on this thread as I go from start to finish. 

I am currently in the blockout phase and am getting ready to make a higher poly model. 
model

The reference image that I'm using is here:

The next update will be a high poly model.

Any crit is welcome!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I'd make the handle a lot thinner. Imagine trying to wrap your hand around the thick one you've got in the blockout! I'd also suggest modelling the twisted metal trigger using a twist; seems like something which should be done early on in the modeling. Good luck!
  • LacedwithJoy
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made a higher poly model! I'm a tad unhappy with how the handle looks so I'll be fixing it up and posting a newer high poly soon. 
    The current model is below: 
    model

I made the handle a bit thinner, please let me know if you think it needs more. 

I'll be posting more updates as I fix my handle and go into Zbrush for some detail!

Crits are welcome!
  • LacedwithJoy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again!

I'm in the middle of my high poly model right now. Hope to have that done for ya'll by the next update!

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Hi there :) I think before going in zbrush for the high poly you should still work a bit on the handle: it's way too blocky for now, some good big bevels ont thoses edges could help a lot and it's not that heavy in polycount!

You can even see them on the concept :) keep it up!
  • LacedwithJoy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again!

I'd like to thank you guys for the feedback! I've already created a high poly model (posted below) however I'm going to go back and make that handle less blocky. Thin it out a bit and give it some bevel as suggested and will post that soon! 

This is my current High Poly model (blocky handle version) 

The smaller detailed swirl patterns on the main body and cover I may make smaller and more intricate, please let me know what you think!
    I'll have a slimmer handle and a new high poly for you all soon!

Crits are welcome!
  • LacedwithJoy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again!

I've started to texture my model! I'm not the most proficient at Substance Painter yet, and I've still got more work to do, but this is my progress so far!

As always any crits are welcome!
  • LacedwithJoy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again!

This is my final product! I've learned a lot throughout this process and I hope to revisit this later to show my progress. 

Please let me know what you think, and thank you all for your feedback!