Home Technical Talk

Uvwmapping a coutch

Challe
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Challe polycounter lvl 11
I have a question regarding uvwmapping a coutch. My goal is to use Unreal4 for presentation.Do you give eatch cushin their own uvwmap or do you for instance take al the seatcushins in one group,the pillows in one and the backcushins in one. Or do you create one big texture for the entire coutch? 

Replies

• frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I depends how you want to texture it.
    If you want to texture it with a unique texture, every element might need a unique UV space.

Nice grammar btw, very original:)
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    I would give each bit it's own unique UVs and texture it at a higher res than you intend to export at. You can always scale down later.
    I would also split those decorative pillows off from the couch as their own asset. That way they can be used independently.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unique UV's, make a simple high poly, take it into substance, profit.
  • Challe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Challe polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you guys :)
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Unique UV's, make a simple high poly, take it into substance, profit.
    Piggy backing off this thread, since I am looking for some info on this.
    Recently see a lot of people doing this rather than making an unwrap, and I was wondering if you could link me some more information on this?

IE If you do this, doesn't it require you to do everything with tri-linear Planar projection in substance? Because otherwise you would have seams everywhere? 

I'm kind of unfamiliar with the term Unique UVs :\ I've just assumed its a kind of "Auto" UV?  As I have heard people just throwing decimations and Unique UVs, then bringing the prop/environment model into Substance to work on.

Just curious how this works for best results..and not sure what to search ^.^
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I meant a standard unwrap where each uv island has it's own unique section within the 0-1 space. Don't overlap uv islands, or if you do, offset the duplicates one tile outside of the renderable area, that way they receive the texture but aren't being rendered over the top of the original uv island when baking and painting.

I'm not really sure what tri-linear is? Substance Designer does a great job with the tri-planar node of helping you to get rid of seams but that can project a texture on three different axis onto your object, which is probably using a unique unwrap. 

Substance Painter does have some settings for tri-planar which requires a world space normal map and averaged normals on the mesh, but there really aren't any tricks to it, other than to turn it on inside of generators. Designer has more control over tri-planar, so does Unreal and Unity, it often gets used to project dirt dust or snow on top of objects while projecting the regular material on the sides, but Substance Painter doesn't really use it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBgh3S4Rm6U