FINAL UPDATE

First shots

||

Some of the assets made so far

Replies

• m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Nice, love all the different shapes you have going on.

I think the plants could use some color variation and/or dead decaying versions at some point. I did a jungle scene recently and that stuff really brought it to life. For example the palms in the jungle would have lots of dead fronds hanging down, right now they look like beach resort palms
  • grimmrobe
    Offline / Send Message
    grimmrobe polycounter lvl 9
    In love with this. Been trying to find this vibe for a little personal project of mine.

• ionicotaco
    Offline / Send Message
    ionicotaco polycounter lvl 4
    This is just awesome. Really cool stuff man!
  • Lokthar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokthar polycounter lvl 7
    Love the feeling of this jungle, I agree with m4dcow on color variation and decaying.
    Whats your plan for the temple back there? Its too "Clean" at the moment with no folliage or plants on it, also i will try to add some leaf floating in the water, its seems to clean with no debris, maybe some small branch of a tree and some stain in the water..
  • frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Hey everyone!

I'm frankly astonished by how many pluses this small environment has received.
    You made my day.Thank you!

Hope I can push it a little further.
    I haven't had much spare time recently, but I made some changes and here they are:

||

I'll replace the leaves hanging off the sides with ivy or something similar.
    The temple material is just a quick Substance Painter preset. I'll probably make something more complex and vertex color blended for it.

@m4dcow
    Yeah, good suggestion in terms of decaying, I added some dead fronds to the palms. I'll probably add more to the plants (the textures for them are very rough atm) and possibly I'll make some palms yet a bit more 'worn out'.
    I liked your scene, hope mine is different enough:)

@grimmrobe
    I experimented a lot with lighting (not that I think it's great now),
    but in the end I only kind of liked a scenario where the sun is roughly behind (on most shots anyway).
    This makes the SSS colors come into play, maybe try that.

@ionicotaco thanks man!

@Lokthar
    I kind of like the cleanliness, but yeah there has to be more variation. I'll work some more on having more dry/decayed stuff.
    I used some slight SpeedTree variation too.
    In terms of the water, I'll probably add some dead stuff to it as you suggested. I haven't touched it much.
    The temple inside will probably be filled with vegetation in some shape too (and I'll make some floor tiles/plates).
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    are the coloured flowers just blockouts? They look a little flat at the moment, great work so far though :)
  • frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Don't know how much the changes are visible now, but I updated most of the plants/foliage.
    I also changed the lighting a bit, so that the sun shines on at least a tiny bit of the temple structure.
    ||

@Doxturtle
    Yeah, they sure were blockouts. I textured them now, they might need a little polish still.
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Great progress on this its coming along really nicely :)

• frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    There's a bit of polish left still, but there probably won't be any huge changes from this point.
    I experimented with static lighting, but it's just super time consuming, so I'm leaving my current Stationary Lights+DFAO setup.

||

||
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Nice progress, all the different assets go together very nicely.

The water stream/pond does look a bit odd so maybe play around with better shaders for that.
    Also in the 2nd shot the floor slabs look sort of evenly noisy, I find myself wanting some more open areas.
    Last thing I might say is that the temple structure looks a bit over saturated, I don't know if the lighting changed how it looks or if that's what you're going for though.
  • CrackRockSteady
    I love the vibrancy of the lighting and colors, everything looks so warm and lush.  Nice composition as well, a lot of these shots almost look like really clean 2d concept art.  
  • frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I think I'm going to call this done.
    I'm not happy with everything (probably there should be more damage/cracking or rubble on and around the temple),
    but I'm starting to get tired with it:)
    I'll update these shots if I find a better lighting solutions though.

@m4dcow
    I think the pond water has more natural colors and reflection now. I overdid it initially.
    I changed the slabs a tiny bit, I guess I wanted it so that the foliage blends into it a lot,
    perhaps that shot isn't working that well for other reasons.
    I saturated the temple a bit more yeah, I think it's better this way.

Thanks once again for all the feedback (hope I haven't ignored any of it) and thanks @CrackRockSteady for the frankly lavish amount of plusses and for the kind words.

Hope the 'branding' isn't distracting ( not much point going to my website right now btw).

Oh, and a small disclaimer. The big trees in the background are a retextured SpeedTree Baobab.

||

||

||
    ||

Here are all of the assets I used:

||

||

• Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Nice work on this man! The only thing I don't like is the water but that's a pretty small crit considering it's importance in the scene.
  • Frozz
    Offline / Send Message
    Frozz polycounter lvl 2
    Really nice work, your vegetations are pretty nice !