Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I want a general portfolio crit

jahronimo
null
I would like a general critique and then if you have time in more details on focused areas. I cant manage to land a job and I want to cry lmao..

www.jahronimo.com

www.artstation.com/jahronimoellis

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Your website composition and design makes me annoyed.  You really just need to simplify it to just images of your artwork.  The video reel at the beginning does little to justify why the environment needs to be seen froma  third person camera character.

It's good that you have completed a lot of pieces, I think.
  • jahronimo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jahronimo null
    Your saying take down the videos at the beginning and just keep the image slide shows.?? Thanks, I am now starting to cut out some of the work I do not think is good enough, I just spent along time doing it and its painful to loose. I done almost everything you see apart from the modelling in the two kitchen renders and taking tile textures. My friend said I need to work on PRB and get some nice singular model examples in their. My texturing I am told can be improved. can I ask anything that stands out to be both good and bad??
  • CrackRockSteady
    In addition to what Brian said, let us know what your expertise is right when we hit your first page.  EDIT: I apparently missed it the first time around where it says 3d Generalist and Environment Artist, which is a bad sign.  Make the bit at the top of the first page with your name and title BIG so people notice it. 

What sort of job are you seeking?  Are you looking for a job in games or film?  Some of your work appears to be in UE4 while others are offline renders.  If you're looking for a job making games all of your work should be rendered in realtime, either Marmoset Toolbag or a modern game engine.  Many of your models are much too high poly and un-optimized to be used in a realtime game.

Check out this article, there is a lot of good advice here https://www.jonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/

PixelMasher also recently wrote up a great article with some tips on finding a job which you may find helpful:  https://www.polygon-academy.com/10-insider-tips-for-artists-applying-to-game-studios/
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    A lot of cool models tbh, it's just the presentation feels closer to 1999. 

Even with the use of an offline render, your scenes carry a lot of flatness. Direct lighting + AO just can't pass for realism in 2018.

You need to try looking into path tracing which nearly every major movie uses now or work on your PBR materials (or for best results, both!).
  • jahronimo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jahronimo null

What you think is better. 

Old -  www.jahronimo.com

I am going to put environments on the home and then another page for other things, press on them and you will get break downs and things.

New - jahronimoblog.wordpress.com/portfolio/
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I would just use artstation and get rid of the random portfolio website, especially with a hard to remember or even find again url like that. I wrote a huge article on the subject you could probably get something out of :) 

https://www.polygon-academy.com/why-your-portfolio-needs-to-be-on-artstation/

I see you have an artstation already which is great, but right now it's really chaotic and all over the map, I would kill a bunch of the old work and random character stuff. It's no where near as quality as your environment work. Also, whats up with the random black pagebreak posts adding to the chaos? get rid of that stuff.  If your goal is to get an environment art job, focus all your actions and showcase towards that.

really be savagely critical when removing old work, its better to have 3-4 really strong pieces than 20 "ok" ones. A lot of people fall into the trap of being romantic about their old work, and it ends up hurting them.