Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Mr.Walter

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
NTakasato polycounter lvl 2
Starting a new project from the concept Mr.Walter by Labros Panousis https://www.artstation.com/artwork/J6mEn

Replies

• dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    I'm digging the concept for Mr. Walter, @NTakasato! It looks like you nailed that silhouette but I think you might want to to rework some of his muscles and forms underneath his skin to push things further. I'd try bringing him to a lower subdivision and cut into his forms without focusing too much on the surface details just yet. If you can get his muscle anatomy to read as strong as you have his chin and waddle thing right now, I think it'll really help!
  • NTakasato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm digging the concept for Mr. Walter, @NTakasato! It looks like you nailed that silhouette but I think you might want to to rework some of his muscles and forms underneath his skin to push things further. I'd try bringing him to a lower subdivision and cut into his forms without focusing too much on the surface details just yet. If you can get his muscle anatomy to read as strong as you have his chin and waddle thing right now, I think it'll really help!
    Thank-you! I will head back down and add some more definition, it is coming off a little weak right now. 
  • NTakasato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Did work making the shoulder area more defined and made a marmoset scene to light the sculpt while I work on the rest. Will be at the polycount meet at GDC tomorrow, if you see me come say hi!
  • NTakasato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

He's all baked and ready to go! Ill be putting the other accessories he carries on a second texture set. 9k polys.
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Bake looks good! Some muscles that were a little too "surface only" seem to be blended better.
    Topology looks ace as well!
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Silhouette is looking really good, and the bakes look nice and clean. However, I'd echo what the others have said - a lot of the musculature looks flat and like it's just drawn on top of the shape of his body. My suggestion would be to indicate the muscle insertions where the deltoids meet the collar bone, and where the back muscles connect to the scapula. The lower back is looking kinda blobby around the erector spinae, I would imagine there would be a little bit of fat around the flanks. The transition between the two feels really weird right now. Finally, the area around the bottom of the sternum looks odd as well. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on with the upper abs (they look a little like they're on top of the fat?) but they should wrap around his stomach horizontally and not form an "A" shape over his belly.

I hope this helps. All in all, I think the forms and proportions for this guy are looking really cool. You're on the right track, keep up the good work!
  • NTakasato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Its been a while since I updated here. Here is his current progress! Working on smoothing out and polishing his body textures and started sculpting some of the accessories he wears. 
  • Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Loving the texture work! What software is it showcased in, marmoset?
  • NTakasato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe said:
    Loving the texture work! What software is it showcased in, marmoset?
    Thanks! Yes this is in marmoset!
  • NTakasato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finished his body and will have a later update with all of his gear!
  • adrxzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adrxzero polycount sponsor
    really dig it! good work
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    very true to the concept, good skills!