Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concepting: I can see it, but cannot visualize it! Can someone help?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Larry interpolator
Hello guys, i am a 3d artist, i can draw decently with a pencil but i am struggling with coming up the exact details of things.
I find it easier doing subtractive sketching in photoshop and making silhouettes but apart from some major big shapes, i cannot visualize the rest. Trying to blockout stuff in 3d will only demotivate me in the end, as i dont find it good enough.How do you guys visualise stuff?

Let me demonstrate an example of how i get stuck
I want to concept a House, with the limitation that is tower-ish and defensive. I made some sketches which i like but when i try to take them to the next stage, i always hit a roadblock in my imagination. When i even start painting on them, the only things i can paint on, are the ones i already see.
e.g. the first one from the left,boom, that's it.

Thanks very much in advance..!

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    you need to build up your visual library. you dont have enough reference points to know what details goes inside the shape, do studies, look at references. it alwyas help to do a few studies on the subject your trying to make before you go into making your own version of it.
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    lotet said:
    you need to build up your visual library. you dont have enough reference points to know what details goes inside the shape, do studies, look at references. it alwyas help to do a few studies on the subject your trying to make before you go into making your own version of it.
    Ok thank you very much. I searched for something similar but i couldnt find, but i was looking at the whole picture. After you said that, i'm looking at specific details i liked in each one :) thanks