Home Marmoset

Floater's borders on AO / Skewing - Need Help!!

So, i have a problem. If in short: I bake floaters on low poly mesh (picture 1). I have skewing ( picture 2), so I fix it with Skew Paint in Marmoset (very nice feature). As a result - skewing is gone ( pictures 3,4). So the normal map is good now. Then i bake AO and have very visible floater's borders baked onto my mesh. No matter what i pressed it didn't go away.(pictures 5,6). 
So i tried  the same in Substance Painter. With Avaraged normals or without i have skewing in SP, but in AO baking settings when i disable (Self Occlude: Always) option - then floater's borders dissapear (pictures 7,8). And i have clear sweet AO. But a skewed one ( alongside with normal and all other maps). So as a result : in Marmoset i have no skewing but bad AO. In SP i have an option to bake AO as i need (without self occluding - no visible borders) - but it is skewed, so of no use.(picture 9).
I really want to know how i can get nice AO in Marmoset because it is such a nice software, and i can have great normals in it. But i can not figure out what to do. Please help me. How can i have nice AO in MT3 when working with floaters?

Picture 1 - Geometry ( low and high w/ red floaters)

Picture 2 - Skewed normal in MT3.

Picture 3 - Fixed Skewing on this part.

Picture 4 - Fixed skewing on the rest of the model.

Picture 5 - After Baking AO in MT3 (pt.1) visible borders on AO

Picture 6 - After Baking AO in MT3 (pt.2) visible borders on AO

Picture 7 - So then i tried it in SP and if i put Self Occlusion to "Only same mesh name" (not "Always") then i have AO without floater borders. (shown on pic.8)

Picture 8 - AO baked in SP ( no borders), but it is skewed no matter what i choose (Avaraged normals or not)

Picture 9 - No matter which mode (Avaraged normals or not) i have skewed maps in SP. But the way it makes AO without self occluding is exactly what i need.
But i want to get it (AO) in MT3  clean and without floater borders. So i ask you for help. please. Xnormal also give me skewed maps.

If you are interested in source files (HP and LP meshes) here they are: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ktXl11n8ZeK-FXS0C2Cj4q9I3kqwinXz?usp=sharing

Replies

• EarthQuake
    This happens because the larger part is occluding itself, the valley is being occluded by the ramps next to it, this means the base value is darker than the value on the floaters, which are occluded less by the slopes. This looks different in Substance Painter because there are ray limiting options which limits how far the ray travels. This is something we want to look into adding for a future version.

Generally, if you make sure Double Sided is disabled in the AO settings that should help with this issue, but it looks like that is off in your screenshot.

One thing you could try to do is make the borders around your floaters smaller to reduce the affected area. Try something more like the right side than the left, for floaters you only need the rim of the edge:

• Vladimir_Hash