Home Adobe Substance

Converting Metal-Roughness PBR to Borderlands 2 cel-shaded style texture

franman
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
franman polycounter lvl 13
As the title suggests, I'm trying to find a way to convert the PBR metal-roughness texture style to resemble more of a Borderlands 2 cel-shaded style type of texture.

I've looked up on google and so far I've found Baked Lighting Filter featured in Painter, but upon playing with its settings I can't seem to get the cartoony result I've envisioned.

On Discord, a user suggested that that the staff at Allegorithmic started off by using a filter effect onto the photo-realistic map to create a baseline and whent on from there.  He/she claims there is a photoshop plugin but couldn't recall which one.

• If you happen to know the link to what I'm referring to please provide me it.
  • If there are other tutorials on how to achieve this in Painter please link me to it as well.
*I've also posted this question on the Allegorithmic forums.

Replies

• Mink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    This is something best handled in your rendering software, rather then in substance. I suggest clamping your textures, using some sort of custom "stepping" filter, but there's no actual conversion to be done. Borderlands 3 is going to use a metal rough shader, theres no "conversion" per say, its just rendering differences. Look at their E3 presentation on the subject.