Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique please

convolution223
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
convolution223 polycounter lvl 6
This is my first time posting. Um hi *waves awkwardly*

Here's my latest concept art. I'd love to hear some suggestions for improvement, please. 

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    first off, Hello and welcome to polycount! 

so for starters id say overall you got a pretty solid base here, but here is a lot you can improve on, I hope it wont be to harsh and scare you of.

first of this isnt really concept art, its an illustration, nothing wrong with that, just wanted to make that clear.

so, for your illustration;  I think the character looks very de-attached from the environment, she dosnt fit the perspective and scale of the rest of the illustration.

I would also add that you could probably sharpen up a lot of your edge work, everything has a kind of blurry haze over it, which f makes the whole piece feel out of focus.

finally Id say the buildings in the background are looking a bit random and nonsensical, it might be a combination of the weird perspective or just unclear design purpose, but in any case its hard to read.

the character is looking solid though, you just need to work on integrating her into the background more. good luck!

• convolution223
    Offline / Send Message
    convolution223 polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks, lotet. 

Can you elaborate a bit for me please, so I know in the future how to fix these things.

What makes it an illustration vs a concept art? I thought illustration was more based on line-work. 

I had trouble with getting the subject to fit in earlier. I thought the shading helped, but if it's a perspective issue, should she be tilted down more? I guess the scale could be smaller for her?

I do need to make the background more clear. I blurred it based on some youtube video advice saying to make the far background less detailed so it wouldn't distract from the focus. But maybe there's a balance to that and I should still have clear edges to things? I think that's what you're saying.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Illustrations are paintings, oi, watercolors, anything on a hearthstone card to a league of legends loading screen. Its an image trying to convey a mood or story. 

concept art is visual design, how does a gun look? an alien or a car?  concept art is tuning a piece of descriptive text into an image. Example of concept art.

concept art and illustration have nothing to do with how your painting or what tools you are using. it sucks because a lot of the misconception comes from all the game art books that basically takes anything from a sketch to the final game cover and calls it all concept art.

as for your illustration, here are some images I found by googling "how to draw people in perspective" that might be a good place to start.

Good luck!