Home Unreal Engine

UE4 Gore System for Multiple Characters w/ Multiple Costumes/Skins and Different Types of Kills??

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Oblivion2500 polycounter lvl 6
I'm making a small game that got single player and local multiplayer only. It will have up to 4 players or AIs at a time per game (no more than 4 ever). The game will be old-style low-poly with low-resolution textures like a PC game from 1998. I want it to have tons of blood and gore like Left 4 Dead 2. 

I got 5 characters in this game to choose from with 2 skins to choose from for each. There are also 10 weapons to use such as melee weapons, blades, and guns, etc. My plan to create a death kill using a separate "gore" model for each character (and each skins as well) for each type of kills based on the weapon used and program it into the game using C++/Blueprint and a shared animation rig.

This sounds very tedious and sounds like it would take forever to do, especially if I add more characters later on. I know that Left 4 Dead 2 did something with a "modular" or "reusable" gore system for the hundreds of zombie models in-game and will get different gore models based on the weapon used. My question is how can I possibly achieve something like L4D2 gore system in UE4 and Maya that can work on any character even if I add new characters to the game?? FYI, I already read the Left 4 Dead 2 gore demonstration guide from Valve which doesn't have very much information on how they did it just a basic overview which didn't help me at all.

Here's the Left 4 Dead 2 gore demonstration video:
https://youtu.be/CHbnP5SAMzI

Replies