Home Adobe Substance

I need some advice for using Substance Designer with texturing low poly items of clothing.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
here is a t-shirt I recently made using MD, Topogun and Substance designer.

Its the first time I have actually exported an item, retologised it and exported it to Unity, I can see lots of areas which need improvement such as the collar around the neck line etc.

I have done lots of work in SD, and lots of stuff in MD but never together.

Also I have lots of experience baking high poly models in Blender, but less so in Substance Designer.

In Blender I can make a high poly model, unwrap it, apply a seamless texture to it, then bake it onto the low poly model. I did this in Blender with this t-shirt's normal map. Is it possible to do that in Substance Designer?

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You can bake textures to other models. Use the texture transfer bake

I sort of have to question why you'd bother given that you can apply the seamless texture in designer. 
  • oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    poopipe said:
    You can bake textures to other models. Use the texture transfer bake

I sort of have to question why you'd bother given that you can apply the seamless texture in designer. 
    well I do sort have absolutely no idea what Im doing.

however if I was to apply just a seamless texture to the model, it would it look like something from the Sims game in 2001 or google Sketchup, the season why Im trying to learn all of this stuff so that I can make good models, if I just apply seamless textures to everything, sure its quicker but the models dont look real.

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SDDOC/Transferred+Texture+from+Mesh

is this the node you are talking about?
    I gave that a try, however you can only add one texture to bake to the low poly, you cant edit the scale of the texture etc and I noticed that the topography affects the bake leaving wholes in where the texture should be.

but thanks anyway.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah that's the one,  it's a Baker rather than a node  though so you can run several at the same time
    It projects whatever is applied to the uvs in the  source mesh to the uvs in the target mesh so what you get is the same appearance on different UVs.
    It sounds like what you want is not that though. 

What I guess you want is a repeating  pattern on the t-shirt with minimal shitty artefacts- the basic starting point would be this... 

1: clean, undistorted uvs and a full set of bakes. 
    2: Use a triplanar node to map the pattern to the tshirt
    3: mess around with vector warps driven by your normal map to introduce a little stretching into the pattern after the triplanar map. 

However.. 
    I think if you've done this in MD you are able to get pattern style UVs to play with so you get the distortion for free and wont need the triplanar map.  I may be wrong, I've not used it much at all