Home Career & Education

Shane Olson's 3D Character Workshop?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
Taylor Brown ngon master
Has anyone here gone through this workshop? I'm considering it because I love his work and I found a couple of the free teaser videos helpful. The $700 price tag is highish but I do like the 30 day refund window. Thoughts, feelings, experiences?

Replies

• Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    What.

Do you plan to do the course , pay for it , and then refund it in order to do the course for free?
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    If price is an issue, check him out on Youtube. I see up to episode 70 of him sculpting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al6LKwhfnYE
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    What.

Do you plan to do the course , pay for it , and then refund it in order to do the course for free?
    Uh, no? I just didn't know if the value was there because no ones really shared any experiences about it. Regardless, its his policy if he wants to refund people without question.

Anyways, I did end up going with it. The curriculum is ok but Shane seems like a genuinely decent human and the student community is awesome and very active. All in all it feels worth it.
  • srlake314
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    srlake314 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Taylor.  I happen to know that Shane's course is awesome.  If you're looking for an environment where you are given assignments, then this isn't it.  Like other online courses, he does have pre-recorded videos that are well edited and flow very nicely together.  
    Also, depending on your skill level, newbie, or already working in the "biz", you need to consider what time you are able and willing to put into the course.  However, his tutorials begin with basics working up to advanced, and that info is continually updated and refined at the most basic level so anyone can get something from it.  Also you will learn the full pipeline of game characters, that's right, the FULL pipeline, unlike others.  
    I don't tend to learn well from videos alone, so that is a reason that's always kept me from investing in courses as I need to be able to ask questions, get critiques from someone other than fellow classmates, blind leading the blind sort of thing.  However, Shane has set his course up in a way that you can ask him questions, post on a Google 3D Character Workshop only forum, as well as the 3D CW site videos that he records specifically for you!
    Plus, you get access to his videos, tutorials, forums, other students and tools for a lifetime.  SOOO, unlike other high end tutorials, you will have access to your instructor forever and not just within the confines of the course.  Hence, this is actually quite a high value if you think about it.  He does offer a split payment currently at the time of this post(August 2018).  The price, can change so i won't post it here, however, as any investment, it's always good to ask questions, and see if you feel THIS is what you want to do.
    Hit Shane up, or even more, join his Twitch/Pixologic channel, check the site for specifics.  You can watch, listen and ask questions.  
    Good Luck!
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    @srlake314 this must be a coincidence, I had someone reach out last night asking about this. My response was as follows:

The content was definitely approachable for a total beginner; Shane is a solid teacher, provides clear instruction that provides a lot of insight into the how and more importantly the why. You're basically paying for a set of prerecorded videos and access to his community. The community is pretty cool. The emphasis is on feedback and pushing eachother forward. You'll be interacting with noobs to pros and Shane himself. He also does critique videos, I believe weekly, where he does sculpt overs on member projects. All in all, its a great program he has built.

Personally speaking, I didn't take full advantage of it and decided to shift portfolio focus to environment art. That being said, for a project coming up I plan on revisiting a few of his course videos and I'm glad I have them. I don't regret giving a guy like Shane my money, he is earnest in his love of teaching and sculpting.
  • brushades
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently started Shane's Workshop and I feel a little bit sad because he is a very genuine and good guy but the tutorials were not what I expected as a beginner.

There are cons and pros. For example, he explains everything in a very easy way to understand. The parts about retopology, character UV are awesome.

On the other hand, I don't really appreciate when unexpectedly he goes offline and does a lot of changes. I felt lost the first time he did it, I was comparing the progress before he did his own adjustments and both his model and mine were looking quite similar. After his offline adjustments, I was like "OK, and now what I'm supposed to do?", I'm a total beginner after all. So I'm not happy with every offline adjustment he does along the videos.

Moreover, there is a part where he explains how he Dynamesh. All right, the video starts and he explains 2 or 3 ways he likes to do, perfect! The next video is about working with that dynamesh model. All right, but the video starts with the model already dynameshed (sorry if I'm not using the correct words) and I have no clue what way did he use, plus when I do it it looks totally different from his. Wouldn't be better to just explain what way is he going to go with and then apply the same settings he used? Weird.

Lastly, there are some parts where I just have no clue what he is doing, even one of them he speeded up to 4x and it is really really hard to stop the video to check what button he just pushed or what action he took... god, I went too frustrated.

So ended giving up, when I put my model and his model together there is a lot of stuff that looks different. I'm not asking for too much since I'm a beginner, but if you are teaching something for beginners I guess the result we will get should be more or less the same.

That is just my opinion. I learned some stuff, but I missed some of the important things, mostly all the refines he does offline which is very important to get a nice model. 
  • GoncaloSousa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoncaloSousa polycounter lvl 5
    @brushades
    can you post you post the differences on both your model and Shanes´s version here? Maybe I can help, even with dynamesh. I know a bit about the method he uses. My wife is also a begginer, and I´ve been helping her. This might give me some insight on how to teach her better.