Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio 3D artist feedback and advice

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Seal40k polycounter lvl 6
Hi all ! 

My name is Sebastian, I am 31 and I am a german 3D Art student and I would like to become a 3D artist. I am currently looking for first position as a 3D Artist (ideally Environment Art) and I need feedback for my portfolio. So, it would be great if you could help

I am attaching the link to my website below.

www.artstation.com/sebastianbaer

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Sebastian

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hi unfortunately the link doesnt work, I think you need to take off the https://www. from the beginning maybe? found it anyway! :) the villa is nice, a little flat - not sure if thats materials or lighting or post process but it doesnt really pop off the page much if you know what I mean. The warcraft inspired town is a fun idea but looks like its got thick gradiented black lines across a lot of the fronts of the buildings, also the floor cobble stones seem massive in scale and the pixel densitys seem wierd for example the houses roofs seem much more detailed than the floors. the rest of the scene is pretty good, perhaps a smaller more densely populated and better perfected scene would have been easier as that town is quite ambitious in size! Good luck!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Fix your URL.  We're lazy people here.  
  • Seal40k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its working now, sorry guys...
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, i think your strongest piece is the chinese bronze lamp, followed by the  spanish villa and coke automat.
    The coke machine could be optimzed, hard to tell by the wireframe but there seem to be some small parts on the legs that have quite the amount of edgeloops for their size.

Why put the robo man in front of pictures? distracts from the environment imho.

The wow environment is weakest and not worth showing in my oppinion. Main reason is the walls look strangely shaded, almost like they are glowing, roof tiles are same color as streets, making it all blend together strangely (in first picture). Also not much variation generally (all windows glowing, could have made slight color changes between buildings etc). Also some tile textures are used in a wierd way, and tile sizes are fine on one house, and then are too big on others, all a bit messy. Maybe would have been better to concentrate on a smaller part of a city and make it really pop (quality > quantity especially if it comes to your portfolio).

Not sure about the substance stuff as i'am not familiar with that, but not looking too bad i guess.

Good luck
  • Seal40k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,

I did some adjustments based on your great feedback.
    It would be nice if you could have a second look and give me (again) your thoughts on my Portfolio.
    Thanks in advance!

Best,

Sebastian
  • sansarat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Nice to meet you. My best friend is a 3D artist and I'm here because I want to learn about the topic. 
  • Seal40k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

it has been a while since I started this thread and my Portfolio has changes (hopefully improved) in the meantime.
    It would be nice to get Feedback on what to improve/delete and what I should do in general to move forward and become better.
    My main goal is to land a job in the AAA industry, ideally as an Environment Artist or Prob Artist.
    Thanks in advance!

Best,

Sebastian