Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Post your animation piece that got you hired.

Boyani
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Boyani vertex
I would like to see, what kind of portfolio you applied to get first time animation in AAA studio.

Replies

• penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    I applied to every studio in AU/NZ with this reel and didn't get a single reply!

I decided to focus on what I enjoyed most (creature anim) for about 4 months and started to reapply with a fresh reel. Managed to score a junior animator position at the first place I sent it to! (luma pictures)

I'm now close to 2 years experience and am keen to put together my "industry" reel, but am waiting for a couple recent projects to get released before I make an official one. In the mean time, here is my WIP reel after my first year as an animator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5YD1LJxXts

One thing I often ask other animators is their thoughts on music in a reel, and most either don't care or think it'll just annoy recruiters. I think for an industry reel it's less of a factor, although you can still do some cool stuff. However, for a junior reel I think the fact that you have complete control over the shots you make and how you can integrate it with some music allows you to show some creativity and make your reel more than just your animations playing one after the other. I spoke with a recruiter and director of animation from another studio and he specifically said he liked my music choice, how my animations went with the music and that it enhanced my reel as a whole.

Looking back at my first reel, it just seems boring... My second reel had better animation which is definitely the most important factor, but I put more care into the overall presentation of it and I feel like it showed I was more confident.
  • AtomicToyRobot
    Offline / Send Message
    AtomicToyRobot polycounter lvl 11
    This is a great idea, I hope we see more posts from industry pros.
    @penOr, your work is awesome. 
  • Ichi
    Offline / Send Message
    Ichi polycounter lvl 2
    Wow @penOr , tell me you're not a junior after any more after those complex shots! Amazing work
  • penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks @AtomicToyRobot & @Ichi !

I'm just about to hit my second year in the industry and have been given a mid position  :)
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Here we go, my first reel from 2013.

https://youtu.be/yzmhx-hgNrI

I was told that the shot with the ogre holding the guy upside down is what got me the job.
  • Royal_Hitsuji
    @penOr

Inspiring

Will you be my sensei?