Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Full Metal Alchemist - Alphonse Elric

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
BrianShray polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone, 
This is my most recent piece. 
I had finished the model and UV/Texturing sometime back but i wasn't quite happy with the output.
Took some time off and decided to continue progress on him over the past week, in conjunction with the movie release on Netflix. 

Modeled in Maya with traditional sub-d box modelling.
First time using Substance Painter as well as the UDIM workflow.
Finally, rendered with Arnold5.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/axzv8

Replies

• Modeliani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeliani polycounter lvl 2
    This is just awesome!
  • PatrickSF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickSF triangle
    I love the way the light hits this. Well done!
  • GreyJke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GreyJke polycounter lvl 2
    Very well done! simple concept, but render is so good!
  • BrianShray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
  • Bazmarti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bazmarti polycounter lvl 5
    Very cool. Love it. 
  • BrianShray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel free to leave any critiques guys.
    I'm done with this guy. But I'm always open to more pointers and tips I can use on future projects.
    One of the biggest Critique I get is to add more scratches/dents. 
    And i will definitely take that into account moving forward. 

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The cloth is the weakest part, more folds, wrinkles, and some lines to suggest where it's hanging or draping from may help. Also subtle wrinkles and fold detail where the legs would move and where it would settle when sitting. Currently it looks like the belt is glued on, because naturally it would slide further down the waist until it settled on somewhere wider. You could pin the side rings to the armor and have it drape from there. 
  • Yoji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    Great model. Very nice shader too! One of the best Als I've seen so far. Not even that new shit movie had such a great Al!

Things I noticed:
    - color of the legwrap, I think it may be white, may be, not sure.
    - boot's toe is very "Arabian" whereas the manga and any ref really show it much flatter. 
    - like ZacD said the cloth seems too soft to have so little wrinkles, if it doesn't have so many it should feel harder harder.

For future account. Fan art will always get the hardest crits on fidelity!
    also..CATS
    This is missing cats! xD
  • BrianShray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    The cloth is the weakest part, more folds, wrinkles, and some lines to suggest where it's hanging or draping from may help. Also subtle wrinkles and fold detail where the legs would move and where it would settle when sitting. Currently it looks like the belt is glued on, because naturally it would slide further down the waist until it settled on somewhere wider. You could pin the side rings to the armor and have it drape from there. 
    Honestly, it seems like a no-brainer now but some of these didnt even come across my mind. 
    The cloth is definitely something i struggled alot with.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Yoji said:
    Great model. Very nice shader too! One of the best Als I've seen so far. Not even that new shit movie had such a great Al!

Things I noticed:
    - color of the legwrap, I think it may be white, may be, not sure.
    - boot's toe is very "Arabian" whereas the manga and any ref really show it much flatter. 
    - like ZacD said the cloth seems too soft to have so little wrinkles, if it doesn't have so many it should feel harder harder.

For future account. Fan art will always get the hardest crits on fidelity!
    also..CATS
    This is missing cats! xD
    Understood. 
    I took some creative liberties here and there design wise, and referred to some other fan art for ideas aswell.
    Next project onwards, Im also looking to move away from Fan Art and more to 3D interpretations of original 2D concepts instead. 
    Im still picking up on my modelling skills and I will definitely take those comments about the cloth to heart and improve it. 
    Thanks !