Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Gloss Maps

TimeForged
null
Where does one plug in a Gloss map when using Maya 2018, also using Mental ray for renders.

Replies

• Billy Lundevall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billy Lundevall polycounter lvl 7
    Hello. I am not aware of the current state of Mental Ray, but if you have a roughness slot, you need to invert your gloss and stick in there. Gloss and roughness are practically the same thing, just inverted.
  • Mink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5

Hello. I am not aware of the current state of Mental Ray, but if you have a roughness slot, you need to invert your gloss and stick in there. Gloss and roughness are practically the same thing, just inverted.
    Lol no they are not the same thing in the slightest. Their are full workflow converters, but a straight invert is going to look awful.
  • Billy Lundevall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billy Lundevall polycounter lvl 7
    Well, I can't speak for all systems but the Suite handles it exactly like that, with identical results with the map inverted for a roughness workflow. So does Substance, I even have materials made that output identical results for both spec/gloss and metal/rough at the same time using nothing but an invert between gloss and roughness (see below) as well as converting specular components from spec to SpecLevel/Unreal/Frostbyte style one the fly.

Now is this due to the GGX BDRF treating the map like roughness regardless? I don't know actually. But if you know something I don't, then feel free to fill me in.

Regardless, any roughness map would be treating the values the other way around, tweaking for an offset after that would be easy if need be.