Home Marmoset

Marmoset Wacky Performance and Ctrl + Z Camera Movements

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Geosmith polycounter lvl 6
Hello.

I've been transitioning to Marmoset for baking and have built up a very large scene. Currently it has around 80 bakers and a similar amount of materials with normal maps and I plan to have more. 

Generally having a scene this big is no issue, there's very little lag in the viewport whilst moving my camera, marmoset uses roughly 5GB of ram, and looking at my GPU I have close to no vram usage or GPU load and my PC can run fine running plenty of different applications and HD videos. 

What makes this a problem is that any camera movement in Marmoset is considered an undoable action. Every time I move an object after which I move my camera around, I have to sit through painfully ctrl+z'ing and waiting ~10 seconds (no joke) whilst my camera movement is undone, until I can finally undo the object I moved or setting I changed. 
The same goes for something as simple as renaming an object, it sometimes misses keystrokes by how laggy it is. 

The thing is, deleting every material in the scene makes little difference. Since the materials are gone I assume the scene should not have the baked textures loaded anymore, I made sure to restart marmoset and reload the scene to test this. 
What's even weirder, is taking a scene with only 3 bakers, (a pistol, magazine and a bullet) 8 textured materials and a bunch of lights, the same lag can already be seen when using ctrl+z. Though nowhere near as intense it does last noticeably a second or so. Deleting all the highpoly meshes from the scene makes it pretty responsive.

I'm currently running:
980ti 6GB
i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz
16GB Ram
Samsung 850 EVO SSD

I've set GPU Priority to responsive and have disabled auto-reloading of textures & models. I have both Windows and marmoset as well as my models, textures and scene file on my SSD very close to the root. 

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way the undo system works is it saves the "state" of the scene, similar to a game save. Every time you undo, it has to load the last save state. If you've got a scene with 80 baker objects, I'm guessing you have tens if not hundreds of millions of triangles in the scene? This level of complexity will explain why you're seeing lag when undoing, and would explain the general performance issues as well.

I would recommend splitting your baker objects into multiple scenes instead.
  • Geosmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geosmith polycounter lvl 6
    Seems odd to have a undo system like this when the program is intended to be used for baking. Like I said above the scene doesn't need to be big for the delay to become noticeable. Do you think there are any plans for improvements with these issues?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While we do not have any immediate plans, restructuring the undo system to split the camera into a separate undo track is something we'll likely consider in the future.