Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Animation exercises - critique needed

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
LeeMeredith polycounter lvl 7
Hello everyone, I've been meaning to pickup where I left off on the animation exercises posted on 11secondclub for a while. So here's hopscotch, it doesn't feel right to me but I can't really see how to make it better, so critique is very much needed please.

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/9cdc9e2fd29a/#340324

(Rig by http://www.davidoreilly.com/downloads/ )

Replies

• tholmes3d
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    Firstly I'd change the color of the squares on the ground. Black feet on black squares means his feet get lost, so we don't see the impact.

More importantly, while that may have been an efficient game of hopscotch he just played, I think it needs some variation. Right now it's a very even rhythm.  Are you looking to get notes for this as a physical exercise, or an overall piece including acting?
  • LeeMeredith
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d said:
    Firstly I'd change the color of the squares on the ground. Black feet on black squares means his feet get lost, so we don't see the impact.

More importantly, while that may have been an efficient game of hopscotch he just played, I think it needs some variation. Right now it's a very even rhythm.  Are you looking to get notes for this as a physical exercise, or an overall piece including acting?
    Thanks for replying! As you can tell I didn't put much thought into it as an acting piece, just straight A to B, I've had similar advice from a friend suggesting I start over and put more thought into the acting, which I'm going to do.

If you have any general acting advice I'm all ears, I've just been practising cycles for games and not really exploring acting, I'll post the wips of the restarted piece in this thread.
  • brucemoose
    Offline / Send Message
    brucemoose polycounter lvl 3
    That rig is so cute!
  • LeeMeredith
    Offline / Send Message
    @brucemoose Davids rigs are all amazing, give them a try!

Game animation, when the player enters a new area this guy drops down to fight the player, critique welcome. (rig by David, linked on first post)

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/9cdc9e2fd29a/#344476
  • tholmes3d
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    Ha, this a fun one. Depending on the style you're going for, you could give a bit of motion to the trident. But regardless of the style, I'd try to make sure he's not animating only in 2 axis. Right now his action is all front to back, with no side to side or twist.
  • LeeMeredith
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d said:
    Ha, this a fun one. Depending on the style you're going for, you could give a bit of motion to the trident. But regardless of the style, I'd try to make sure he's not animating only in 2 axis. Right now his action is all front to back, with no side to side or twist.
    Ah that's something I didn't realise, I'll work on getting more side/twisting. I'll spend some time testing and pulling around parts, thanks again!
  • WeatherMan
    Offline / Send Message
    WeatherMan polycounter lvl 6
    Definitely agree about the rhythm. Maybe take some reference. You'll probably find yourself losing your balance a bit. That'd be a fun way to add variation to the rhythm of the hops. Also consider making him hop on different feet for the one-foot squares. For an added touch when you're done, you could light up the squares as he steps on them (if you know how; don't spend unnecessary time on this, definitely focus on the animation first and foremost).

It's a good start, keep at it.