Home Technical Talk

Facial Rigging - Good Resources?

purehilarity
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
purehilarity polycounter lvl 6
Hi Guys,

I was hoping to start a useful thread about face rigging. I decided to start learning a bit about it, because I've never done anything advanced with facial rigs and want to learn. I've been googling a lot to try to find out some useful information. Usually with new techniques like this, I quickly hit what seems to be the go to resource for this kind of thing, but I'm finding it more difficult with this subject. A lot of people recommend a couple of books on Amazon that were published in 2003, including the Polycount Wiki. Can this really be the best resource on the subject?? 15 years in computer graphics is massive right?

Are there any facial riggers here that can help me out? I really want to understand the basic fundamentals, when to use joints and blendshapes now that engines support blendshapes, best practices of control panels vs face controls, etc. 

This link was pretty interesting though it's very short and didn't take me too far: https://www.creativebloq.com/how-to/how-to-rig-a-face-for-animation

I know it's a difficult thing because the obvious answer will be the rig depends on the needs of the game / animation, but there must be things that will be essential to learn and somewhat generic to a human face. 

I have been thinking of using joints in the right places across the face and then creating faux-blendshapes using "poses" created with the joints and set driven key in Maya. 

Any useful links, videos, books, tutorials, or helpful comments would mean the world! Thanks for reading.

Replies