Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Minotaur

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JonConley polycounter lvl 8
Over the past week I've been working on and off on a minotaur in Zbrush. I have never finished a character and decided it was time to finish something other than just props. I've been in the slack group posting (probably too much) asking for critique from the beginning. 
Latest:

Embarassing start:

After a week of critique and gathering more reference:

Replies

• JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a little bit of time over the weekend to clean some things up and add in some cloth (and some colors that will be thrown out):

I will be dropping the metal rivets on the shoulder pad. The plan was to add 2-3 rows of them, and I just don't like them.
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really any work done on the minotaur, but I made a warhammer .

• JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty close to finished with the mace.

model
  • Kingdan97
    So a few things.

First, I think your sculpting work on the bark on the mace looks great, very nicely pushed without being too much or too busy. I would actually really like to see you pursue something similar to that on the band around it because currently it(and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) Looks like that's the Hammered Iron material from Substance Painter, which there's nothing wrong with it just seems like you have the skills to pull that off in your sculpt without having it feel so samey.

I also like how a lot of your form work on the minotaur itself is looking, especially in the arms and pectorals. Down at the ribcage and in the legs though I feel you've gone too far on defining them. It seems like his skin is vacuum sealed around his calves and the bottom of his ribcage but resting more organically on the hard forms in the arms, back and pectorals. I definitely think you're closer to where you're hammer is stylistically up in the torso, and I think it's a stronger style than what I see in your front/back view earlier on.

Keep up the good work.