Home Adobe Substance

Substance Bake Tool

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
derphouse polycounter lvl 4
I just recently started working with the Substance Automation Toolkit, and found it to be quite intriguing. Just from some small automated scripts, we've saved a good portion of iteration time in our own project. I thought it would be fun to slap a small GUI on the scripts and make it (relatively) easy to use. It's completely free, and also very much in its early stages.

More than anything, if it seems like something you would use, I'd love to hear suggestions on which direction to take this tool. Or just generally which problems you face in a production where this might fit in.

Get it here: https://github.com/martindur/substance_bake_tool

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I've written an equivalent tool in c# for batchtools and found it very useful to store a full set of bake settings in a file alongside the baked assets - this allows object specific projection/anti-aliasing settings to be restored on a rebake etc.

WRT new tools. 

You can create and populate an sbs file using the API so why not output one that's ready to open and start texturing?

Its nice to see this stuff getting used - thered be a lot more of it happening if they dropped the price for commercial  users to something that doesn't make houdini look cheap
  • derphouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    derphouse polycounter lvl 4
    Cool! Yeah preserving settings in general seems like a good idea. We have multiple projects where one individual might switch between them, and having preferences and bake settings for each project can help automate small tedious folder input/output changes.

So you're thinking an sbs with loaded bakes and meshes? That makes good sense.

I'd say the Indie licenses are quite attractive compared to a lot of other packages, no?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I was referring to the cost of the automation toolkit for full size studios. 

designer and painter are great value and the toolkit being free for indies is great.