Home Adobe Substance

How do I paint when parts of the model are in the way!?

woody
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
woody polycounter lvl 13
Ok so I thought of a way of texturing parts of my model which are impossible to get to while the whole model is loaded in...I am using ID map baked from highpoly vertex colour. But there's some detailing I left out which I thought I could achieve in SP, so I didn't have to model it all into the highpoly.

So I exported the whole thing and did my bakes etc...Then I also exported the same model but in pieces I used to bake 'by mesh name'. Was going well until I switched out the model.

The part in the middle is the body which is surrounded by other elements, above is after I imported just this part and did the necessary work with no obstructions from other elements. 

All good, but then I switched out the model for the full one (which has IDENTICAL uvs of course)

As you can see the work I did previously has messed up. So just wondered if there's a way around this?

I did see this (HERE) but this does nothing but make the parts invisible, they still receive paint...FYI I am using mainly fill layers and mask folders..

Replies

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    As far as I know, Painter will project the texture in 3d space when you load a new mesh, not based on the UV, so the paint layer will messed up if you have other object blocking the projection.

As for how you would paint the inner part, you can either paint in 2d viewport or have an exploded mesh that expose all parts.

This is just my guess though, cus it happened to me before as well, I'd love to know more about how Painter actual projection when it comes to updating a mesh.
  • woody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woody polycounter lvl 13
    Hey revel thanks for the reply! 

I think they need to add some subobject functionality as any model I can think of  with moderate detail would need this ability...Exploding mesh is a good technique but it has its own downsides, such as guessing where detail interacts with the forms of a shape for example...Plus I did bake by mesh name to avoid the pain of exploded mesh parts.

In the end I had to go old school and use photoshop to create a mask for the body piece, import as texture then multiply this over the original paint layer mask.. 

Here it is anyway..
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Kb5dG

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    If you need to paint on pieces that are very close together, switch your brush alignment setting to UV, this will paint in UV space and will not bleed over the other pieces of geometry.
  • woody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woody polycounter lvl 13
    Jerc said:
    If you need to paint on pieces that are very close together, switch your brush alignment setting to UV, this will paint in UV space and will not bleed over the other pieces of geometry.
    Hi Jerc,

Thanks for the reply, I did try this but it was still a little hard to get under certain parts, would be nice if it fully LOCKED to the uv island and maybe hid the other parts while painting. I noticed if I went to far with this method it WOULD bleed onto other parts in the way. 

Again would be even better if SP understood sub objects within files and handled visibility that way, is this something that's potentially going to be implemented? 

Thanks.