Home Career & Education

Technical interview questions

What are the common technical questions in an interview for 3d artists in the games industry?
How can I prepare for it? What are the do's and don'ts?

I'm currently trying to prepare for my upcoming interview but I'm afraid that I can't explain how I do things like I usually create
artwork instinctually in ZBrush, Maya, max, substance. I struggle to explain my thought process from my mind unless I have the program open and ready to use.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Can you state what programs you use and what you use them for during your process?

What is your process for tackling optimization of an already done 3D asset?  What do you prioritize?

You could also write down notes of your process, so you just parrot the bullet points you've already written down.

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I've never gotten anything resembling the tough technical questions you might get in an engineering issue. Just variants on "What was your your workflow for x asset in your portfolio?" or "Do you have any experience with y software".
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All the questions are usually to assess two basic things: Are you faking it? Are you ok to work with?

Can you explain your workflow and art decisions clearly. Did you do the art yourself or not. Can you actually walk the walk. Do you seem reliable. Would you be able to do the work. Do you inspire me.

Can you speak my language clearly. Are you annoying to talk with. Do you have bad breath or smell bad. Would I dislike sitting next to this person for 8-10 hrs a day. That kind of thing.

If you got to the interview stage, you've passed most of the tests already. A net positive. Now it's just up to you to introduce negatives to vote yourself off the island.

Don't forget too... this is your chance to assess the company and its people. You don't want to work in a crappy place, do you?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Yea i find interviews more of a social screening process. 

Does this person have a big ego?

are they super awkward or socially inept to the point where integrating them into the team is going to be difficult? 
    Etc

Most of the time its them trying to get a sense of WHY you want to work at that studio and project and if you are a good fit. 

One of the worst things ive seen people do is try and out nerd the tech director or trying to hard by going into obscure technical talk and coming off as a know it all. give them the answers they clearly want based on how they phrase the question, do what you can to save them time and effort, and show you are the right person for the job. 

Just be friendly and chill, shower up and dress in clean clothes and you will rock it :)