Home Career & Education

Benefits of Traditional sculpting in film and games

White_wizard
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
White_wizard polycounter lvl 2
For character sculptors/artists, do you think traditional sculpture gives you a leg up? how often is it used? Is it a great thing to have in your portfolio? Is it more so used in films than games, if so should i gear my portfolio to films? In 25 years I would like to be like him http://ironheadstudio.com/

Thanks for your opinions

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    For every character artist portfolio that is posted on here, I'd say less than 10% have content to do with real sculptures. The ones that do are either hobbyist or actually do it as a separate job. Like making and selling toys for example.

Regardless, if you're aiming at being a 3D character artist, I wouldn't recommended it. You're not being hired to use a hammer and chisel and break down marble. You're making digital characters that only exist on a computer. The time and effort spent on traditional sculpting, can be used in learning how to sculpt in Mudbox/Zbrush instead. 
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

White_wizard wrote:

For character sculptors/artists, do you think traditional sculpture gives you a leg up? how often is it used? Is it a great thing to have in your portfolio? Is it more so used in films than games, if so should i gear my portfolio to films? In 25 years I would like to be like him http://ironheadstudio.com/

Thanks for your opinions

I find analogue sculpting skills transfer quite easily across too digital although I'd not advise including traditional examples for a 3D biased portfolio if you've thoughts of pursuing a career based upon a realistic figurative skillset; because in my opinion it's best not complicate matters when seeking maximum traction luring eyeballs online for a tilt at a potential entry level gig.

With a background in base relief timber carving basic form, composition and anatomical principles...etc apply, it's just the tools that change, also this might seem weird but I much prefer mechanical hardsurface 3D modelling rather than creating creature/characters largely due I guess how 3D content is generated, well to be honest nothing beats the tactile feeling of a chisel biting into natural materials.

Anyway given your personal end goal and if interested exploring the discipline further, I'd highly recommend browsing Scott Eaton's Workshop:

http://www.scott-eaton.com/digital-figure-sculpture

An accomplished artist combining traditional sculpting techniques with 3D media he's also one of the pioneers in the field of digital sculpting having studied drawing and sculpture in Florence, received his design/computer graphics education at the MIT media lab plus worked extensively in both film and video games throughout his career.