Home Technical Talk

(3ds max) How to tile a texture of an animated 3D object that is stretching?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Gonzotron polycounter lvl 8
Hi all, I'm animating a staff right now which stretches longer from its original stubby look in 3ds max. How do I animate the texture in such a way that it tiles up while the object is stretching? Thanks!

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Using world or local space coordinates instead of UVs could possibly work. Its called tri-planar mapping though, but I have never tried it in Max, and I don't even know if it has this, but it should.  You can try looking it up on google and see if there is a doc about it, or maybe someone else from here can shed more light on this.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would simply animate below a UVW Map modifier. 

Depends on the shape of the model, but you could probably get away with a Cylinder or a Box projection.

Can you show the textured model, and the animation?

Another way would be to use a procedural texture, set to Object space instead of UV. That way you could also animate the Phase to make wood grain "ripple" or "grow" as it stretches.
  • Gonzotron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonzotron polycounter lvl 8
    I would simply animate below a UVW Map modifier. 

Depends on the shape of the model, but you could probably get away with a Cylinder or a Box projection.

Can you show the textured model, and the animation?

Another way would be to use a procedural texture, set to Object space instead of UV. That way you could also animate the Phase to make wood grain "ripple" or "grow" as it stretches.
    I actually tried this but the problem was the texture I wanted to animate would start to cover the entire unwrapped model I had.
    I found a solution though, I started using Material IDs so I could apply a different tiled texture on one part of the model to preserve the details on the other parts. Still thanks for the replies guys! :)
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Assuming youre not exporting the object you can animate UVs.  A uvXform modifer might be the simplest way.