Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

wip deer model - advice for improvement welcome !

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
simonelr polycounter lvl 3
hi everyone, been wanting to get better at modelling animals, (also rigging/ animating ), so i decided to model a deer, and this is my work so far, in a smooth mesh preview :

i'd like my topology to be good enough for rigging/animating, so any advice on how to improve topology (issues you can see in mine) or this deer's anatomy is appreciated :)
I am not really sure yet what texture style I want to go for either ( i haven't done much work on texturing characters), ... probably a realistic or semi-realistic style

p.s ) the type of deer used as reference is a red deer .

Replies

• Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    Looks like a good start. The antlers are too thick at the base and don't grow enough horizontally for a red deer. Looks sort of like a spiny Ibex at the moment. :)
    Also seems like your mirroring didn't quite merge along the back or something. You have a really sharp crease.
  • kmacneil91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kmacneil91 polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice start! The leg/body anatomy looks very accurate.

I agree that the antlers are a bit thick. I also feel that for the final version, the antlers shouldn't have exact mirroring. They should have some variation, like this:

Also after seeing your side view, I think the head/face might be a little short. As seen below, I think the face would extend farther: 

Overall, really nice technique, though. Your topology looks on-point.
  • simonelr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice start! The leg/body anatomy looks very accurate.

I agree that the antlers are a bit thick. I also feel that for the final version, the antlers shouldn't have exact mirroring. They should have some variation, like this:

Also after seeing your side view, I think the head/face might be a little short. As seen below, I think the face would extend farther: 

Overall, really nice technique, though. Your topology looks on-point.

Thank you ! I'll keep what you mentioned about the antlers and head in mind as i keep on working on this :)
    Glad to hear about the topology going well as well, thanks again .
  • simonelr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D said:
    Looks like a good start. The antlers are too thick at the base and don't grow enough horizontally for a red deer. Looks sort of like a spiny Ibex at the moment. :)
    Also seems like your mirroring didn't quite merge along the back or something. You have a really sharp crease.
    Thanks for the feedback ! :)
  • muiztasarim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harika görünüyor tebrikler =)

uygun fiyat website