Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Unstable, slow, buggy update

trx
trx
null
Offline / Send Message
trx null
Hi,

Sorry for ranting, but this release is unusable. It's super slow- minutes to load that smart material preset interface- super buggy- crashes all the time, suddenly stops recognizing the IDs, crashes on load ( despite admin rights etc.), it's inconsistent- like suddenly the glossiness just changes for no obvious reason. I lost hours- HOURS- for something I would have done in no time in the old one- which was also pretty buggy btw. but not like this. MFGIHF! Huh! Ok! Question to the developer, is there a fix in sight? How can I downgrade? If I downgrade, do I have to worry about backards compatibility?

Replies

• trx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trx null
    Now, I just loaded a saved version from like one hour ago, the IDS are lost! How is it possible to release this? It's not even beta stage stable!
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hi Trx!

I understand that you're frustrated, but I'm unable to assist you without any supporting documentation of the problem you're experiencing. When you report an issue, especially something overarching like "unstable, slow, buggy update", it helps to know the specifics of what you're dealing with here. To that goal, let me know these things:

Your system specs, including GPU(s), installed RAM, and processor(s).
    The installed version of Photoshop
    The version of the Suite you're running
    What resolution your project is
    How many textures (PSDs) are loaded in your project
    Any videos or photos showing what you're referring to
    The project file itself so I can look into confirming anything you're experiencing on my end

Please note that a slow material browser is likely caused by using a non-default Windows color calibration profile - try changing that back to default and you should see that improve at the least.
  • trx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trx null
    Hi,

thank you for your answer first. I will post my specs in a minute, just let me notice that is not a real issue here, as like I already stated, the previous version was much more stable with the exactly same configuration. I wouln't have updated in the middle of the project, but I had no choice. I can't post ( or privately send for that matter)  any reference because it is a commercial project and the deadline is Monday, hence my frustration. It doesn't come from nowhere, the frustration, and it is not just an "overarching" or whatever other condescending adjective. And if the update is buggy, slow and inconsistent I see no reason why not to call it what it is.
    Now for my specs:
    Win 7 x64, I7 quadcore, 24 Gb Ram 1666, 2x NVidia GTX 580 sli, Photoshop CS6 x64, latest Suite update. I work on 2048 tex resolution- loaded are 4 - metallic setup for Unity.
    I'm sorry, I can't upload or send any project details, but after I'm finished with this project I will send you a replica with a non commercial model/texture set.
    Again, thanks for the answer.

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I appreciate the info, thank you!

Unfortunately, I can't really help you much without further information. I understand that you're experiencing issues, and I do sincerely apologize for that, but without the ability to diagnose and troubleshoot what you're seeing, it's essentially difficult if not outright impossible to offer any solutions tailored specifically to your situation. We can try a few general techniques that might put things back in working order, but I can't guarantee that they'll work in your specific case. Let's try this one:

1. Close Photoshop and the Suite.
    2. Right click on Photoshop, choose Run As Administrator. This only needs to be done once, and does not need to be set to permanent administrator access.
    3. Close Photoshop.
    4. Run the Suite. If the issue persists, continue:
    5. Close Photoshop and the Suite.
    6. Right click on the Suite, choose Run As Administrator. This only needs to be done once, and does not need to be set to permanent administrator access.

After doing this, let me know if it's back up and running again like it was before. If not, you may wish to use the Suite launcher (accessible via the Suite toolbar menu) to downgrade to the previous version that worked as-normal.

I do apologize for the confusion - nothing in my reply was meant to be taken as condescending.
  • trx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trx null
    Thank you for your answer and you trying to help. I also apologize for the rant. I will try what you proposed a bit later, right now I'm a bit scared to close the session I work on, as I might again lose the IDs on load. I will try later and keep you posted, maybe tomorrow, I will have to work late today and I think I'll be to exhausted to try it.

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    If you'd like, we can schedule a time this weekend to sit down together in our Google Hangout so I can try and diagnose what's happening in real-time - you're welcome to get me an NDA if you'd like. It'll help significantly with assessing and fixing what's going on. :)
  • trx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trx null
    Sure, why not? But I would prefer with a replica, I have an NDA myself- so I'm bound- and I would prefer not to do it with this particular model.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Understood. If you can replicate what's happening with a new project, that will work as well. Let me know when you're available and free for 30 minutes to an hour, either by private message on Facebook or via private message here on Polycount.